[Faith-talk] Good Night Message for Monday, October 22 2012, Albeit a Mite Early

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 00:44:52 UTC 2012

Yes, this message is being sent a bit early, but I'm going to host an event on an audio chat site, and, because I don't know how long it will last, have decided to post this message early rather than wait till later and maybe even forget it.  Now I know that you wouldn't want that, would you?

Anyway how was your day today? Mine was good, by God's matchless grace and His providential care.  For the rest of you in other parts of the world, I hope that your Tuesday is going well.

Carole Knowlton wrote our article for today.  Although none of us are children, you might just find this interesting.  Entitled "Children's Day," it is rendered as follows:

In Brazil the twelfth of October is Children's Day, and it is one of the country's most celebrated holidays.

Reverend W.J. Gushing wrote the poem that was set to music by George F. Root entitled "Jewels." The third verse says:
Little children, little children,
Who love their Redeemer,
Are the jewels, precious jewels, His loved and His own.

The word "children" occurs over 1800 times in the Bible, so we know that children are important to God.  "And they brought young children to Him, that he should touch them: and His disciples rebuked those that brought them.  But when Jesus saw it, He was much displeased, and said unto them, Suffer the little children to come unto Me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God.  Verily I say unto you, Whosoever shall not receive the kingdom of God as a little child, he shall not enter therein.  And He took them up in His arms, put His hands upon them, and blessed them" (Mark 10:13-16).

I wonder whether the headlines in the local paper could have read: "Jesus sets aside time to spend with children." A large illustration of that Scripture hangs in the church I grew up in.  It was dedicated by a family after their child was killed in an automobile accident.

Children are indeed precious jewels who need to be protected.  They are given to us to care for.  The Bible issues a severe warning if they are misused: "And whosoever shall offend one of these little ones that believe in Me, it is better for him that a millstone were hanged about his neck, and he were cast into the sea" (Mark 9:42). I have heard this discussed by teachers as to the seriousness of their job.

Since the Supreme Court legalized abortion effectively for any reason and at any stage, our society has devalued life in general and children in particular.

Friendships ought to be chosen carefully because of how they influence us.  "Be not deceived: evil communications corrupt good manners" (1 Cor. 15:33). "Even a child is known by his doings, whether his work be pure, and whether it be right" (Prov. 20:11). Choosing the right friends can help keep children safe and secure.

Another way to do that is to teach them the meaning of three four-letter words: "love," "time," and "care." These three are far more important than money or the things money can buy.  Let us protect the jewels God has entrusted to our care.

Some good advice is found in the above article which even we adults can take to heart, especially friendships being chosen with care.  The apocryphal book of Ecclesiasticus states in one place to "let your acquaintances be many, but your friends one in a thousand," and, in another place, it advises anyone who would want a friend to "take him on trial and find out what he wants before you make him your friend." I find no Scripture in the cannonical writings that support these wise sayings, but that doesn't mean that there aren't any.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, throughout this night or day and especially in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul