[Faith-talk] An Interesting Bible Question, I Hope

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Tue Oct 23 22:10:01 UTC 2012

Hello ladies and gentlemen.  We all know the old saying that "curiosity kills the cat," but I'm no cat, just in case you didn't know.  Below is my curious Bible question.

With the exception of only a few persons specifically mentioned in the Scriptures, people were only identified by one name, such as Solomon, Orrin, Mahli, Mary, Nathan etc.  The question is as follows: How would one distinguish between say ten people named David, 20 named Benjamin etc.? One plausible answer would be to identify someone as "son of" as, for instance, Jacob ben Joshua.  This applies only to males.  Perhaps for females the Hebrew word "bat" would be used.  OK let's get to the question again: How would one distinguish between people with multiple names other than say the "son of" or "daughter of"? This would hold true especially if there were multiple sons or daughters whose fathers had the same name or even occupation.  Anyway if anyone has some input on this, would really like to know.  Thanks for any responses.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul