[Faith-talk] Independence

Tom Vos tomvos614 at gmail.com
Sun Apr 28 02:03:40 UTC 2013

In the big picture we are creatures, though we are dependent on the Creator
for all things.
However, even at the beginning God intended that we rule over the earth, and
that clearly shows some kind of independence.  At least it is clear that God
does not want us sitting around waiting for him to do things for us.
The same is true in our blindness.
And we can probably all tell stories of surprising ways God has met needs
and led us through difficult times, but even in the middle of those times,
God expected us to act with the gifts he has given us.
Another dimension of this is that God intends that we be part of our faith
community, both serving others and receiving the service of others, both
using our gifts and being blessed as we receive the benefit of the gifts of
others.
Complete independence is impossible and not what God intends for us.
The independence that the NFB speaks of is a limited form, in which we use
whatever gifts and opportunities we have to live fruitfully in this world
and be a blessing to others, even as they are a blessing to us.
This just happens a little differently when we are blind.
Blessings,
Tom Vos