[Faith-talk] Daily Thought for Saturday, August 24, 2013

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Sat Aug 24 21:44:13 UTC 2013

Well folks, it's Saturday afternoon as I'm writing this in eastern North America, whereas in your location it might be another time of day or even your Lord's Day as you read this.  Whatever time of day it is, I hope that your day is or will go well, by God's matchless grace and His providential care.

Perry Wilbur from Florida comes to us today with his article entitled "Dreams," rendered as follows:

Ben Hogan, one of the golf world's immortals, thought he would never play the game again after a bus hit his car head-on in a terrible accident.  But Hogan's dream still burned with brightness.  He had already been a golf star for years, and he didn't like being forced out of the game he loved--especially through no fault of his own.

Having and pursuing a dream can change any empty feeling, fill you with renewed vigor, and give you an ongoing reason for making the most of your time on earth.  The dream nurtured in your heart, mind and spirit enables you to get much more out of life in the way of personal satisfaction.  Dreams provide you with greater overall zest for living.  A dream stimulates your imagination and creativity too.  It motivates you to think ahead and plan for your future.

Louis Armstrong started playing trumpet in New Orleans and eventually became one of the greatest musicians, band leaders, and superstars of all time.  Just his mere presence in a film became a guarantee that you were going to see one of the greatest entertainers of all time.  I have heard people say that simply listening to Louis Armstrong's hit recording of "What a Wonderful world" snapped them out of depression, better known as the blues, and lifted their spirits.

Never give up on your dream, either.  People who do throw in the towel and give up too soon evidently never heard about the remark once made by General George S. patton when a British general told him that a military move Patton had already underway "was impossible." Patton merely smiled at the general and replied that "the impossible is what we're in business for."

Even though Ben Hogan's doctors said that his golfing days were over, after his devastating accident, Ben kept fanning the flame of his dream.  He resumed playing the game.  Difficult as it was, he kept at it.  The happy result was that Hogan became a champion all over again--a champion for the second time around.

Stay on Course

Simply having a dream--and not doing something to achieve it--is not enough.  To make your dream a reality, you must keep everlastingly at it.  You have to try to move closer every week to your dream, or keep backing the cause you believe in, week after week.  Studying the careers and lives of others, who attained their dreams, can be of definite help to you.  When people you know, or hear about, achieve their dreams, or shine through for the cause they back, try to discover how they went about accomplishing it.  What were the sacrifices, the strategic plans, if any, the stepping stones, and the overall coordination in their cases? There are clues to be found in the study of how various achievers reached their dreams and goals.

And when it seems that your dream may be unachievable, remember the always helpful words of Psalm 46:  "God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble."

And there you have Perry's article which I hope you found helpful.

Some other insights about his piece I'd like to share.  Reading through his article gave me the impression that by one's own strength and ingenuity would one achieve his/her dreams or goals.  Perhaps many of you have known people, whether online or in your previous life, who have said to you something like this:  "Having known you for a certain amount of time, I believe that you should pursue a career in such-and-such occupation or vocation." I know I've met people who have done this in my life.

Also, be mindful of the quiet voice of the Holy Spirit, who knows you "through and through" (Psalm 139, Jerusalem Bible).  (I can't exactly figure out which verse).  He, alone among many voices, will guide you to where God wants you to go in the pursuit of your dreams and ambitions to achieve a certain goal.  Just thought I'd add that as a postscript.  If I were Mr. Wilbur, I would have done that.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul