[Faith-talk] December 1, 2013 Daily Thought and a Praise Report

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Sun Dec 1 20:39:24 UTC 2013

Hello and good day to most of my readers on this first Sunday in December and the first day of the month.  I hope that you are all doing well, by God's matchless grace and His providential care.

In many churches, the four Sundays leading up to the celebration of our Lord Jesus is called Advent, and, with this in mind, I'd like to share with you something written in the monthly devotional "Our Daily Bread" by Julie Ackerman Link entitled "Advent Themes," rendered as follows:

I believe that all Scripture is related and all Scripture is relevant.  Nevertheless, I was surprised when my November readings in the book of 1 Peter touched on all four themes of Advent--that period of time on the church calendar when many Christians prepare to celebrate the first coming of Christ while looking forward to His second coming.  Advent begins this year on Sunday, December 1st and goes for four weeks until December 22nd.  During Advent, we emphasize hope, peace, joy, and love, which God sent with Christ.

HOPE:  We have an inheritance reserved in heaven, a living hope through the resurrection of Christ from the dead.  "Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! By His great mercy we have been born anew to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, and to an inheritance which is imperishable, undefiled and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who by God's power are guarded through faith for a salvation ready to be revealed at the last time." (1 Peter 1:3-5).

PEACE:  We will love life and see good days if we turn from evil and do good and if we seek peace, for the Lord watches over the righteous and hears their prayers.  "For he that would love life and see good days, let him keep his tongue from evil and his lips from speaking guile; let him turn away from evil and do right; let him seek peace and do it.  For the eyes of the Lord are upon the righteous, and His ears.  But the face of the Lord is against those who do evil." (1 Peter 3:10-12)

JOY:  We have inexpressible joy even though we have trials because our faith is being tested and proven genuine.  The end of this faith is the salvation of our souls.  "In this you rejoice, though now for a little while you may have to suffer various trials, so that the genuineness of your faith, more precious than gold which though perishable is tested by fire, may redound to praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.  Without having seen Him you love Him; though you do not now see Him you believe in Him and rejoice with unutterable and exalted joy.  As the outcome of your faith you obtain the salvation of your souls." (1 Peter 1:6-9)

LOVE:  We can love one another with a pure heart because we have been born again through the Word of God which lives and abides forever.  "Having purified your souls by your obedience to the truth for a sincere love of the brethren, love one another earnestly from the heart.  You have been born anew, not of perishable seed but of imperishable, through the living and abiding Word of God." (1 Peter 1:22-23)

Because Christ came the first time, we can live with hope, peace, joy and love till He comes again.

And there you have it from ODB which I hope you found worthwhile reading.

And now to my praise report.  Because no one even considered having me over to their place for Thanksgiving Day, I was considering leaving my church.  However, during the brief time in the service when members of the congregation greeted one another, I spoke to a lady whom I had known for over a year named Angela.  I casually asked where she lived.  When she mentioned my street, I asked for her street number.  Guess what, folks? She lives in a house on my block.  My number is 2802 and hers is 2807.  Not only that, but she knows my neighbors Micah and Carmen Cane.  Needless to say, I'm not quitting.  Now hopefully Angela, Michelle, my housemate and the undersigned just might possibly do some things together which I'd really like.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, in these last days in which we live.  Lord willing, tomorrow will post another daily thought message.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul