[Faith-talk] Good Night Message for Tuesday, February 26, 2013

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 27 01:59:39 UTC 2013

Well folks, Tuesday is about to go into Wednesday, at least for us in the Americas, whereas you in the rest of the world are already in your hump day.  At any rate, whatever day or time of day it is, I hope that it is going well, by God's matchless grace and His providential care.

Jeanne Zornes wrote the following article originally for the December 1993 edition of "Decision" magazine, and I'm sharing it with you today.  Entitled "Cuddle Time," it is rendered as follows:

Bedtime routines for my two preschoolers stretched over an hour with baths, snacks, teethbrushing and story time.  But after we knelt for prayers by the living room couch, they begged for "cuddle time" in the big, upholstered rocker.

Clutching their nap blankets and a favorite stuffed animal, they snuggled close as we talked about the day.  Then we just rocked, the chair springs clicking a lullaby.

Now nine and 11, they still want snacks and stories, and I require a toothbrush stop.  But the rest of the routine happens at their beds.

As they crawl under the covers after prayers, I ask, "What do you want to talk about tonight?" In the mellow glow of their night-lights we discuss warts and pimples, school bullies and baseball.  Sometimes we talk about heavier topics, such as unsaved neighbors, missionaries' needs, and Grandpa's Parkinson's disease.

Spiritual training takes place.  When my daughter complains, "I get tired of praying for the same old things," I explain new way to confess, praise and petition.  When my son mutters that he's not sleepy, I tell him, "Let's count our blessings." After a few minutes of lists he yawns and admits that he has just begun.

Bedtime is also when spiritual deficits glare.  One time my daughter was unrepentant after a punishment.  At bedtime she ppouted, "I don't want to pray tonight." I quietly asked her to consider what God thinks about that.  Through tears she prayed for forgiveness, then clung to me for cuddling.

Even when I'm tired, I look forward to these nighttime chats.  When our days are a flurry of activity, these chats slow us down for fellowship.  I want this parent-child routine to prepare them for growing fellowship with their heavenly Father.

I know how much, as an adult, I need spiritual "Cuddle times" to maintain my relationship with God.  How grateful I am that "The Lord is nigh unto all them that call upon Him, to all that call upon Him in truth" (Psalm 145:18, KJV).

That verse became precious to me when I was 31 years old and still single.  Both my parents had died within a six-month period, and I felt alone and vulnerable.  But I also felt cherished by God as I remembered that He promised special care of widows and orphans.

My mother's old rocker became my place of meeting God.  As never before I plunged into reading my Bible, personalizing passages by praying through them.  I sang through a hymnal.  As I enjoyed God's presence and comfort, I felt like a child cuddled in a mother's lap.

Now, as a mother, I understand better how cuddling nurtures a relationship.  I see how much my spiritual life parallels my children's lives.  Like my daughter, I am sometimes bored with my prayers, and I wonder if God is bored, too.  Then He leads me to a helpful article or illuminating Bible translation.  Other times, like my son, I fall asleep, thankful for my blessings and feeling wrapped in His love.

As a Christian, I know that death will not be the end of my fellowship with God.  In I will truly know how much God cares for me.

And there you have it for today.  Regarding "cuddle time," Carol Taylor and I had quite a bit of that when I visited her in her humble abode, for which I appreciated that more than she will ever know.  We definitely will resume that when I come to visit her in May, Lord willing.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, throughout this night or day and especially in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul