[Faith-talk] Good Night Message for Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Thu Feb 28 02:43:23 UTC 2013

Hello and good morning, afternoon or evening wherever in this world you happen to reside.  I hope and pray that, by God's matchless grace and His providential care, that your day went well or is going well.

I suppose that, at one time or another, we have all felt tired, drained and/or worn-out, from whatever our day entailed or our occupation/task required of us.  Well, today's article addresses such an issue.  Entitled "Virtue In Fatigue?" by Kristin Wee, Pastor of Nativity Lutheran Church located in the somewhat charmingly named Weeki Wachee, Florida, it is rendered as follows:

It (fatigue) might slow us down, so we could feel the Spirit blowing.

There is a little sign in my office that reads, "They are not hot flashes, they are power surges." Some mornings I drink a third or fourth cup of coffee, hoping to encourage the latter.  Most weeks I listen to a variety of people who are lacking in power surges.  They are just plain worn out.

There are lots of reasons:  illness, looming disappointments at home or at work, aging, too much to do or raising children.  Mothers of small children are _always tired.  The fatigue of a mother is so profound that the memory of it remains in our bones for the rest of our lives.

But, believe it or not, fatigue may be a virtue.  Being worn out might mean we are too tired to complain.  Fatigue could also set limits on obsessions, grudges, preoccupation with self and crazy schemes to change the world.  It may make us grouchy, but it could just as well lead to empathy, patience and compassion.

Author Carol Zaleski observed:  "Fatigue is a gift to our fallen human nature without which we might have the stamina for endless mutual harrassment and mischief."

Instead of complaining, we could flop down in a chair and call a friend.  We could dream different dreams, laugh till the tears run down our cheeks, wake up surprised at the first frost, fall in love with God all over again.

If we're tired and slow down, maybe we could feel the Spirit blowing through us, creating a new space that makes the old one feel cramped as we become aware that we are beginning to allow ourselves to be surpassed in our desires.

Fatigue might do that.

It might also help us remember Jesus, the One who said His yoke is easy and that He will share ours.  Picture the oxen's double yoke with your tired shoulders holding up one side and the strong shoulders of Christ Jesus holding up the other.  If that doesn't make your fatigue feel a little like a virtue, it might at least make it matter less.

And the memory might remain in your bones for the rest of your life.

And there you have Pastor Wee's article for today.  Although originally written probably in 2008, it is still just as timeless today as it was back then.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, throughout this night or day and especially in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul