[Faith-talk] Good Night Message for Friday, January 11, 2013

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 12 02:41:11 UTC 2013

Well, Friday has come, the end of the workweek for those who are still gainfully employed, and time to think about what one does on a Saturday, at least here in North America.  On the other hand, you in other parts of the world are probably enjoying hopefully a pleasant Saturday.  At any rate I hope that your day is going well or went well.

The author of today's article is not given, nor even the publication from which it was taken, but I hope that you will enjoy it.  Entitled "A Fresh Start For The New Year," it is rendered as follows:

There is something about a fresh start that appeals to each one of us.

For example, there is something delightful about blotting out dirty fingerprints with a fresh coat of paint.  Add to this new curtains, clean wallpaper, a set of new furniture, and living takes on fresh meaning because everything is new and clean!

Along with redecorating, many of us would like to have a fresh start in other areas of life.  A fresh start in business might lead to a much better position.  A new beginning at school might make a big difference in our education.  A chance to start over in our marriage might alter the whole outlook of life.  In fact, some of us would like to get rid of the past entirely and start over again!

Somehow the new year seems to offer just such a fresh start.  It seems to say, "Forget the past.  Begin again.  Resolve to do better!" It sounds so easy that we solemnly make new year's resolutions and look forward to a fresh start.

Despite our good intention, however, all too soon it proves to be an exercise in futility.  And so the great unanswered cry of many hearts continues to be, "If I could only start all over!"

Yet, there actually is a way to get a completely fresh start in life.  This way completely covers over your old, soiled past with a fresh new beginning.  It is God Himself Who offers this opportunity for a fresh start.  He promises that, "if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new" (II Corinthians 5:17).

Furthermore, God does not mock you with a challenge to "do it yourself." Instead, He offers to do it for you if you will only let Him.

Best of all, there are no tantalizing credit terms to ensnare you in a series of unending payments.  Instead, Jesus Christ, God's Son, paid the entire cost when He died on the cross for your sins.  The Bible says, "But now once in the end of the world hath Jesus Christ appeared to put away sin by the sacrifice of Himself" (Hebrews 9:26).

Yes, if any man be in Christ, he is a new creation.  Old things are passed away and all things are become new!

What a wonderful opportunity for a fresh start unconditionally backed by God's Word.

The crucial step is up to you.  Will you believe God's promise? Will you trust Jesus Christ as your personal Savior and become a completely new person in Him? If so, why not tell God right now that you accept His offer of a fresh start.

And there you have today's article by an unnamed author.  I know that all of us hopefully have accepted Christ as our personal Savior, but perhaps you can pass this on to someone of your acquaintance who does not know Him and who hopefully is not antagonistic to hear the message of the Gospel.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, throughout this night or day and especially in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul