[Faith-talk] Good Night Message for Friday, January 25, 2013

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 26 02:41:18 UTC 2013

Hello and good day to you all.  I hope that, by God's matchless grace and His providential care, that your day went well or is going well.  We're running a little late, but I did want to get this message off to you.

Audrey Carli, an author who lives in Michigan, wrote an article several years ago entitled "Nature, Love and Blessings," rendered as follows:

The scene in the park across the street gave me the gift of nature's beauty--and something mysterious:  despite several blizzards, the Mountain Ash tree kept all its bright red berries throughout the winter.  It wasn't until spring that I learned why.

In the meantime, sorrow struck my friend Alicia when her husband, Tom, died.  They had been a close, loving couple, and after Tom died Alicia called me wondering how she could get along without Tom.  As she spoke, I came up with a plan:  I would make a point to visit with Alicia over tea and snacks every few days.

Mornings I had devotions in my office before writing an essay.  Then I drove to Alicia's house to chat, sip tea and eat a snack.  Over time, my regular drives to and from Alicia's house began to change.  Soon, the snow melted, giving way to brown--and later green--lawns.  Alicia began to change, too, as her dull brown eyes once again began to twinkle.

On Alicia's birthday, I visited her with a chocolate layer cake.  As I was leaving, Alicia said that she would come to my house for our next visit.  "It's my turn to let you stay home for tea time," she said, smiling.

The afternoon Alicia visited, her brown eyes sparkled.  "You told me about the tree with the red berries that stayed all winter.  Well, as I drove by just now it looked like a hundred birds flitting amidst the tree branches.  What a pretty sight!" I was pleased that Alicia had reminded me of the tree.  My life had become so busy that I hadn't had time to sit and take in the tree as I had done most winter mornings.

As Alicia and I said goodbye, she smiled.  "I have so appreciated your visits.  I felt my sorrow easing a bit each time.  I now sense that God is healing me with nourishment from our friendship."

The next morning I awakened early, intent on spending time at my front window during devotions.  The scene was miraculous:  every red berry was gone! The birds Alicia had mentioned had eaten every one of them.  No wonder God provided that kind of tree--to feed the birds returning during springtime.  The berries were their welcoming feast.  I could hardly wait to phone Alicia and tell her.

"I thought of that when I drove from your home yesterday.  God helped feed the birds with the berries and you helped feed my spirit with friendship," she said.

"It all adds up to love for each other," I replied.  "God loves us and gives us friends and family to love.  God loves the birds and provides food for them." Later, I read the words of George Washington Carver:  "I love to think of nature as an unlimited broadcasting station, through which God speaks to us every hour if we would only tune in."

And there you have it for today.  Quite a unique article, wouldn't you say? I sure did when I read it several years ago.  Now if only we could find personal Alicias and Audreys in our neighborhoods, that would be great, but unfortunately in our fast-paced and isolative society in which we live, that isn't possible, although it could happen if folks would just reach out to each one of us.  The Internet is a great friendship builder, but nothing, in my opinion, takes the place of personal face-to-face true friendships, especially among singles.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, throughout this night or day and especially in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul