[Faith-talk] What do you want sighted pastors and church members to know?

Greg Aikens gpaikens at gmail.com
Sat Jul 13 21:33:49 UTC 2013

Hi friends,
I'm working on a project for my denomination's center for the blind and am putting together some resources for pastors and church members who have questions about interacting with blind people in their congregations.  My goal is to debunk major myths and misconceptions about blindness from a religious perspective.  I want to be thorough and thought I would ask on this list for suggestions people have of topics to cover.

What are the biggest challenges and barriers that blind people face when visiting a new church or trying to become a member of a new congregation?  What challenges and barriers do blind people encounter in churches even after long time attendance?

What do you wish you could express to pastors and church members that might change their attitudes?

What would you say to a pastor who is concerned about being able to reach out to the blind people who visit his or her church?

I'm looking for both negative and positive experiences you have had as a blind person trying to get involved in a local church.  What made your experiences positive or negative?  Successful or unsuccessful?

Thank you for your thoughtful responses.

Blessings,
Greg Aikens