[Faith-talk] Daily Thought for Thursday, July 18, 2013

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 18 20:25:31 UTC 2013

Hello and good day, ladies and gentlemen, boys and girls, children of our heavenly King-Father and saints of the Most High God, wherever in this world you happen to reside.  I hope that your day, whether that be morning, afternoon or evening, is going well or went well.

Audrey Carli, a Christian author living in Michigan, graces our screen readers and Braille displays today with her article entitled "Why My Rush To Visit Beth?", rendered as follows:

I woke up in the gray dawn with my middle-aged friend Beth in my thoughts.  I sensed she was weeping, her blue eyes tear-filled.  I realized she had fresh grief for her late husband, John.  When we had met for lunch at our local family restaurant, she said that when she looked at wedding, anniversary, birthday and holiday photos, sadness often engulfed her.

She smiled and said she would soon adjust.

We both knew that others had also adapted to being alone.  And we realized our faith would keep us going.  We agreed that prayer strengthened us.  Thus, our visits ended with, "You will be in my prayers."

So why was Beth on my mind with the urgency to visit her that morning?

Whenever she and I had met for lunch at the Family Corner Cafe, we had agreed our visits eased sadness and enhanced tranquility.  Thus, each visit concluded with a prayer for each other.

I kept busy by dusting the living room end tables.  Suddenly, I knew I must visit my friend! So I tossed down my dust cloth and hurried to my car.

While driving, Beth's recent temporary move came to my mind.  She had sold the family residence before her planned move to her hometown, Milton Falls, a two-hour drive away.  However, her new hometown residence would not be ready for a month.  That was why she had moved to a furnished upper flat until she could return to Milton Falls.  She had not ordered a land line telephone for that brief time.  She would get a cell phone after moving to her new address.

After parking my car beside Beth's temporary home, I knocked hard at the stairway entry door.

Quickly, she descended the stairs and welcomed me.  Her tear-wet eyes beamed.  "I prayed for a visitor! It's a special day--and I miss John a lot."

After we ascended the steps, we sat in two facing chairs--and prayed.  We expressed gratitude for the nudges that sent me to visit Beth on her sad day.

After a tea break and chat, we prayed thanks for our visit and why that day had been extra lonely.  "It's John's and my wedding anniversary."

We prayed thanks for the years we had our devoted husbands.  Now that they were gone, we were blessed with our friendship.  Our mutual prayers could link us--and offer comfort before and after our visits.

Beth said their pastor often taught them to pray for their needs as well as for others.  "He emphasized the short verse in 1 Thessalonians 5:17, Pray continually (NIV)."

Wow, but what an article by Sister Audrey! If you're going through a similar situation, even though you don't voice it or write about it in an email to groups or private individuals, I pray that this short article ministered to you today.

Speaking about people, I'm personally looking for someone whom I met on E-voice, that telephone precursor to Internet chatting, back when that service was all the rage among the blind community.  Her name was Belle Mills and at the time she lived in Birmingham AL.  Out of the goodness of her heart (and she was by no means not wealthy), she paid for my last year's subscription to E-voice with her credit card, as I had none at the time.  If anyone here knows or has contact info for her, I'd appreciate having it.  Of course, get her permission or her husband's permission first.  I simply want to catch up on the news since E-voice met its demise.  My personal contact info, via email, is oilofgladness47 at gmail.com.  Thanks in advance for your help, and may God bless and reward anyone receiving this for their effort.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, in these last and evil days in which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul