[Faith-talk] Daily Thought for Friday, July 19, 2013

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 19 18:40:09 UTC 2013

Hello and good day on this last day of the workweek, for those of us who are fortunate enough to be gainfully employed, and a hello to the rest of you.  Here's hoping that we in North America are keeping cool to the best of our ability, AC-wise.

The article presented for you today hopefully will engender some thoughts in your mind, if not an e-mail discussion on the various lists that receive these messages.  The author in question, Heather Campeau, lives in Massachusetts and her submission is entitled "What Running Teaches About Prayer," rendered as follows:

In college, I began a diet and exercise regimen to eliminate the "freshman fifteen." At the time, my mother remarked, "You exercise _religiously." As I was not walking as closely with the Lord at that time, her comment pricked my conscience.  Now, about 20 years later, I have learned some parallels in these disciplines.  The Bible says, "Train yourself to be godly.  For physical training is of some value, but godliness has value for all things, holding promise for both the present life and the life to come" (1 Tim. 4:7-8 NIV).

Discipline
Running requires great discipline.  In my hometown, there was a teacher that regularly ran the Boston Marathon.  She would run before school started, in the dark, in the capricious New England weather, and then teach middle school students for the rest of the day.  Like running, the discipline of prayer must be top priority in our lives.  Often it means that one must rise early in the morning and take time alone to seek God's will.

Passion
Runners are crazy people.  Runners run in all types of weather because they love it.  I have completed three marathons, and all types of people participate.  Some participants wear costumes; some don mullet wigs for the course.  There is an annual 5K in which everyone dresses as Santa Claus.  I read an article about a woman who wore a wedding gown through a mud run.  Recently, ultra marathons have become the rage where individuals run hundreds of miles, twenty-four hours a day.  Eric Liddell is famous for saying, "When I run, I feel God's pleasure."

I knew a woman who was passionate about prayer.  Debbie Erickson served behind the scenes at church, singing in the choir, making the world's best whoopee pies, making crafts for Vacation Bible School, and praying for others.  Although a prayer warrior, Debbie was a humble woman and did not have her driver's license.  She relied on others to take her to the grocery store, doctors' appointments, church, and social events.  She became so passionate about her prayer ministry for incarcerated youth that in her 40's, she decided to get her driver's license so she could minister to the forgotten boys in juvenile prisons.  Debbie was a creative, passionate Christian who died more than a year ago.  I know she is enjoying the presence of Jesus, because she passionately served Him during her life.

Perseverance
Runners need perseverance to continue running and stay in top form.  Often in prayer, we need to persevere to see a situation through.  An area that I have been persisting in prayer is my husband's work.  He is continually seeking his niche, and as a result, he has had more than 25 jobs during his lifetime.  I often get discouraged and wonder if God is listening; we have to remember that God's timing is different from ours.  Another area in which I need perseverance is praying for my children.  Daily I go to the Lord and ask for His protection and guidance as my children grow.  The Lord has seen us through surgeries, braces, school, growing pains, vacations and friendships.  As they continue to grow and change, I will continue to pray for their concerns.

Cross-training
Runners supplement their training with a variety of sports, including weight training, bicycling and swimming.  In the same way, there are different types of prayer and changing our prayers can have great impact.  I like to journal my prayers so that, when I look back from time to time, I can see God's answers.  There is great value in praying Scripture-based prayers.  As I read my Bible, I take note of verses that apply to my life situations and prayers.  I enjoy great prayer time as I exercise daily.  It is important to remember that an important part of prayer is listening and waiting for God to respond.  Prayer is communication with God, and often we need to take a break from our "wish lists" and listen to God's voice.

Strength in numbers
Identifying with a group makes running or other activity more exciting.  Although running is an individual sport, it can be more fun when training with a friend.  Likewise, praying with others has great power.  Jesus said, "If two of you agree on earth about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by My Father in heaven.  For where two or three are gathered in My name, I am there among them" (Matt. 18:19-20).  Recently, a young boy suffered severe brain damage during a bike accident.  Hundreds of people prayed for him daily and he had a complete recovery.  Amazing technology is available today with email, Facebook, Twitter, and Iphones.  Information travels instantly, and we can use social networking to heighten our awareness of others' needs and increase our prayer list.

Lifetime pursuit
There is a T-shirt for runners that says, "My sport is your sport's punishment." Running is not a fad; it is a discipline that can be pursued for a lifetime.  Prayer is also a life-long commitment.

Celebration
When I completed my first marathon, I stepped across the finish line and heard my name called over the loudspeaker while a volunteer placed a medal around my neck.  It is so rewarding to cross the finish line! After a race, runners get well-deserved rest, seek medical attention, and enjoy good food.  Sometimes they win rewards.  Prayer is a rewarding pursuit as well, as we see God answer our requests.  I am so grateful for the ways God has been faithful to me.  Sometimes God answers differently than we would like, but we know He works all things together for good.  Most important, when we pray, we grow closer to God, and He changes us to be like Him, so that when we finally meet Him, He can tell us, "Well done, good and faithful servant!" (Matt. 25:21 NIV).

Well, as I said earlier, there is food for thought here as well as food for discussion on the various lists, hopefully without any rancor or backbiting.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, in these last evil days in which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Oil of Gladness