[Faith-talk] Thanksgiving Reflection for Tuesday, November 26, 2013

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Tue Nov 26 23:22:42 UTC 2013

Hello and good day once again to all my loyal readers and saints of the Most High God.  I hope that your day is going well, whether that be in the morning, afternoon or evening.

You probably wonder why the change in the subject line? Well, it more accurately reflects today's, tomorrow's and the next day's messages I have for you.  Today might be considered a followup to the Sunday message, although the author's name is not given.  It's entitled "Need Peace,? Give Thanks," and I hope it will be a blessing to you.  One thing before we begin, and that is that the words in parentheses in the Bible reading are those of the author and not necessarily mine.  And now let's begin, from the November 2006 issue of "The Gospel Messenger" magazine.

Be careful for nothing (in nothing be anxious); but in everything by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.  And the peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep (guard) your hearts and minds (thoughts) through Christ Jesus.  (Philippians 4:6-7 KJV)

"I just do not know what we are going to do if Jim loses his job," my friend lamented.

"I am not sure we can afford to send Jenny to college.  Our savings were eaten up when I had emergency surgery last spring," another confided.

"Mother and Dad are not doing well, and they refuse to accept any help or even to consider moving to a retirement apartment," a couple in our prayer group shared.

Sometimes, life may seem as if it were filled with worries.  Anxiety-producing situations abound, and simple solutions elude us.  Even though our lives seem to be moving along smoothly, as we pick up a newspaper or turn on the television, we are confronted with news that may overwhelm us with hopelessness and despair.  What can we do? Where can we turn? Is there really a silver lining behind all the dark clouds crowding the horizon?

Our hearts long for peace, but it may seem a futile dream.  Or is it? The Apostle Paul, although he lived almost two thousand years ago, faced concerns much like ours.  He battled worries about health and hardships, about relationships and natural disasters.  But he also discovered and shared with us the antidote to a fretful life.

In the verses above, Paul commands his Philippian friends to turn their backs on anxiety by turning their faces to God in prayer.  But the type of prayer he prescribes is not composed of vague or repetitious phrases uttered in the hopes of a brighter day.  Paul urges followers to pray aggressively, specifically, and confidently to a living God.  Paul's advice is a cure linked to a promise--a promise that gives us the means to break the debilitating cycle of worry.  First, Paul tells us to present our requests to God through prayers and petitions.  This indicates an active and specific recounting of our desires and needs.  But then Paul indicates how these requests are to be made:  with thanksgiving.  Have you ever thought about giving thanks for what you do not have? For instance, if you had a debt to pay off, but you also had a large balance in the bank, would you not be thankful as you wrote out the check? As we bring our requests to God, Paul wants us to remember that our heavenly Father has all the resources in the universe at His disposal and He has given us, His children, a blank check.  When we choose to stop worrying and to write out the check by prayerfully presenting our needs, we express the confidence that the resources needed are available to us.  It is then that the thankfulness of grateful children floods our souls.  We have a Father who loves us and desires to fill our lives with what He knows will fulfill us.  What could produce more gratitude than that?

Gratitude permits us to experience the truth of the second part of Paul's statement:  God's peace--a peace so great that we cannot even comprehend it--will guard our hearts and minds in Christ Jesus.  When we present our needs, thankful that our Lord is fully able to meet every one, our worries are overcome by the assurance of God's peace.

At Thanksgiving, it is good to remember that we cannot only be thankful for the tangible blessings of family and friends gathered around a bountiful table, but we can also enjoy the invisible and eternal blessings of God's abundant love and provision through prayer.  If you are in need of peace this holiday season, try giving thanks.  Then prepare yourself to receive blessings beyond your understanding!

Dear Lord, I confess that I often look at my worries instead of Your abundant love.  Help me to remember that You promise peace when I bring You my prayers with thanksgiving.

And there you have today's thanksgiving reflection which, as I said above, will bring you a blessing as you ponder and meditate what the author had to say.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul