[Faith-talk] A Thanksgiving Reflection for Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 27 19:44:04 UTC 2013

Hello to all my readers on this midweek day, Wednesday.  I hope and pray that, by God's matchless grace and His providential care, that your day is going well, whether that be in the morning, afternoon or evening, depending on when you read this.

We have yet another article by the late Dr. Ralph Montanus entitled simply "Thanksgiving." However before presenting it, an explanation of something you will read in the first sentence deserves clarification.  He mentions a theme song in his radio broadcast.  That program unfortunately isn't on the air now, nor has it been for the past 27 years.  However the importance of his writing is still there and will be till Jesus comes.  And now here is the article.

As some of you know, the theme song for our radio broadcast, "That They Might See," was "Count Your blessings." This month, even the world has set aside a day for Thanksgiving--a time for counting one's blessings and a time for thanking the Lord.  Thanksgiving and prayer go hand in hand.  You shouldn't have one without the other.  How unfortunate it is, though, that many of God's people know only one phase of prayer--petition--and neglect completely that most important part--thanksgiving.

We seem to be constantly asking God to do something for us.  While our Heavenly Father delights in giving good things to those who love Him, our woeful lack of thankfulness must undoubtedly grieve Him.  Over and over again, we are told in God's Word to be thankful, to offer praise, to enter into His presence with thanksgiving.

The Apostle Paul tells us that the will of God in Jesus Christ is, "Rejoice evermore.  Pray without ceasing.  In every thing give thanks, for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you" (I Thessalonians 5:16-18).

One of the signs of apostasy is unthankfulness (II Timothy 3:2).  God lists unthankfulness with such sins as selfishness, covetousness, blasphemy, and unholiness.  It would appear that, the nearer we get to the end of this dispensation, the more selfish and unthankful men become.

As Christians, let us therefore take nothing for granted.  Let us always enter into the presence of God with thanksgiving on our lips and in our hearts, first thanking Him for His Son, and the salvation He so wonderfully prepared for all who would believe on Him.

Then, we should thank Him for the blessings of the past day and for all that He has yet in store for us, not forgetting to thank Him for our temporal blessings such as our food, our clothing, our families, our homes, and our land.  How thankful we ought to be that God has permitted us to live in a free country where we may pray, read the Bible, and witness for Jesus Christ without fear of reprisal by the authorities for our Christian faith.  Let us thank God for this blessing of freedom and for the church, the body of Christ, here on earth.  But most of all, let us make it a habit to thank God first, before asking Him for anything!

And there you have another one of the late Dr. Montanus' articles which I hope was a blessing to you.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, throughout this day and in the evil days in which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul