[Faith-talk] Daily Thought for Tuesday, September 3, 2013

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 4 00:45:32 UTC 2013

Hello and good day to all my readers out there.  Sorry to be so late with this message, but the passing of my friend Jared has affected me so deeply that I'm getting sleep but at the wrong time of day, and at night it's even more difficult.  Jared was one of those rare individuals that treated me as a blind person, not with deference or a stereotypical attitude, but as a Christian firstly, as a human being secondly and as a blind person last of all.  I couldn't have asked for a more down-to-earth sighted friend.  I'm sure many of you know of similar people in your individual lives.

"Autumn Glory" is the title of the short article I'd like to present to you today.  The author's name is not given, but if you are a nature lover by choice if not otherwise, this article will appeal to you.  It is rendered as follows:

Here in September, we are approaching the sunset of the year.  As the light of the falling sun dims into red, pink, and golden hues, one cannot help but think of the fleeting year.  Autumn has pushed another summer into the archives of time.  Now is an ideal moment to take stock of summer's gifts, to dream of the past, and to relish the moment at hand.

Each year autumn seems to come as somewhat of a surprise.  Just around the corner, a glorious performance lies for all the senses to behold.  The beautiful colors have already begun to appear.  Sumac, bittersweet and woodbine lead the footsteps of fall.  Soon the brilliant hues of brightly colored leaves will spread across the mountains, valleys and foothills.

In these precious hills, the berries of the dogwood and black alder sparkle as they march in harmony to the accompaniment of autumn's songs and sounds.  I listen to the tremolo of the chipmunks as they busy themselves along the old stone walls.  Bird-songs are also abundant in these sunlit days, songs of migrating birds and of those birds that will remain throughout the winter.

The wildflower's blossoms will be with us until the first heavy frost nips the grass and blooms.  Until then, I never fail to take in the loveliness of the goldenrod and morning glory, the charm of the wild sunflowers and Queen Anne's lace, the beauty of the asters.

In all of autumn's marvelous displays, I see the handiwork of the Creator.  Experiencing the beauty of the season strengthens my faith and gives me hope and trust and confidence in the glorious cycle of life.

And there you have the message for today which I hope you enjoyed, even without an author's name.  As for me, I couldn't tell the difference between a hydrangea and a petunia, nasturtium, sunflower (except for the edible seeds) and other flowers you could name.  I realize that you in Australia and New Zealand are about to enter into the opposite side of the cycle, so to speak:  your springtime.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul