[Faith-talk] Daily Thought for Saturday, April 5, 2014

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 5 18:28:10 UTC 2014

Hello and good day to most of you once again on this Saturday, the first one in April.  I hope that your day is going well.  Of course, you in New Zealand are probably getting ready to go to your respective houses of worship, with you in Australia not far behind.  I hope and pray that you and your fellow congregants will get a good word from the Lord as imparted to you by your pastors and/or Sunday school teachers.  More importantly, I pray that you will apply what you will hear and learn to your individual lives as the gracious Holy Spirit enables.

I don't recall whether or not I've shared this one with you before, but it was published a number of years ago by the Faith, Prayer and Tract League without an author's name attached thereto.  It's a kind of tongue-in-cheek contribution entitled "Rules For Your Garden," rendered as follows:

Plant three rows of squash:

Squash gossip (James 3:6).
Squash criticism (Matthew 7:4).
Squash indifference (Matthew 22:5).

Plant three rows of peas:

Purity (II Corinthians 7:1).
Patience (James 5:7).
Perseverance (I Corinthians 15:58).

Plant six rows of lettuce:
Let us be unselfish and loyal (Matthew 16:24).
Let us be faithful to duty (Luke 19:17).
Let us search the Scriptures (Acts 17:11).
Let us not be weary in well-doing (Galatians 6:9).
Let us be obedient in all things (John 14:23).
Let us love one another (I John 4:7).

No garden is complete without turnips.
Turn up for church, prayer meetings, Bible study (Hebrews 10:25).
Turn up with a smile even when things are difficult (Proverbs 17:22).
Turn up with determination to do your best for God's cause (Romans 12:1).
That the man of God may be perfect, thoroughly furnished unto all good works (II Timothy 3:17).
Grow in grace and in the knowledge of our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ (II Peter 3:18).

Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fullness of Christ (Ephesians 4:13).

Now he that ministereth seed to the sower, both minister bread for your food and multiply your seed sown, and increase the fruits of your righteousness (II Corinthians 9:10).

And there you have it for today.  Lord willing, tomorrow there will be the weekly Bible game, so get your thinking caps ready.

Now may the
God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul