[Faith-talk] Daily Thought for Monday, April 21, 2014

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Mon Apr 21 19:46:29 UTC 2014

Hello and good afternoon to one and all, at least it's afternoon in eastern North America.  On the other hand it may be morning or evening when you read this.  I hope that you are enjoying the day and that your Easter or Resurrection Day celebration was a memorable one for you.

The author of the article I have for you today, Marion Turnbull, lives in England, and her contribution is entitled "Gran's Spring Cleaning," rendered as follows:

Every year, just before Easter, my Gran did a big "spring clean." The whole house was cleaned, from top to bottom, room by room.  When I was a little girl and stayed with her I was allowed to help in this great campaign.  I really loved my Gran, I suppose because she really loved me, and it was fun to be with her.

Winter was almost gone, the sun shone through the windows, bringing up more light and showing up dark corners.  "Time to do our spring clean," Gran said.  So, one morning, early, she put on her cleaning clothes--a large apron and a cotton scarf wrapped around her head.  She tied an apron around me (it went around twice) and a head scarf.  "Now, we're ready," she announced.  I jumped into action, picked up a duster, and began to rub the furniture with all my might.

"No dear," she said gently, taking the duster from my hand, "first we clean the parts people don't see."

She was a little woman, but the furniture was dragged out and we got to work, brushing all the cobwebs from underneath and behind.  Spiders and other little insects ran for their lives.  We scrubbed behind the cooker and under the fridge.  I came face to face with a tiny mouse.  He was so scared, but he scuttled safely out of the door and into the garden--to my great relief.  Gran was very annoyed he was found in _her house.

Cupboards and drawers were emptied and sorted.  (I loved to sort out all the interesting bits and pieces in the drawers).  Shelves were cleared and dusted, then everything put back straight again.

"Turn up those dark chairs now and dust underneath," she said.  "Right, _now you can polish the tops to your heart's content, and bring up a good shine." It was always fun working with Gran because she threw herself into everything she did--and expected me to do the same.

I thank God for her.  The way she cleaned the house stayed with me.  Even today, I like clean, tidy cupboards and backs of things.

And I'm very glad God does His cleaning like that.  He throws Himself into everything He does, and He is not content for us to just keep ourselves clean and tidy on the _outside.  Oh no! He wants us clean on the _inside--in "those parts that others can't see."

King David found it very hard to clean up his inside.  He couldn't take the sin out of his own heart.  He cried out to God, "Wash me thoroughly from my iniquity, and cleanse me from my sin! You desire truth in the inward being" (Ps 51:2, 6).  God answers prayer like that, and only God can make us clean inside--and keep us clean.

Gran told me that if the hidden parts were clean, the bits that other people see were no problem at all.  It's true.  I have sometimes tried to please God by cleaning up more obvious sins--like my childhood efforts of picking up a duster and polishing the tops.  Not good enough.  What about those deep thoughts and pride that other people can't see?

It cost God more than a few cleaning materials and a strong arm to take out our sin.  The cross was an absolute necessity.  But Jesus went there "for the joy that was set before Him"--the joy of being able to lift His people up with Him into resurrection life.

Like Gran said, if the hidden parts are clean, the bits that other people see are no problem at all.

When I grew up I met many people who laughed about God.  But I wanted my Gran's God, the loving Jesus she had told me about on her knees, and I wanted to find Him for myself.  It took a long time, but when we look, we find.  He is not far away--and Gran had been praying for me.  What a godly influence!

And there you have Marion's article for today which I hope you enjoyed reading.  I can see the germ of a sermon here.  Maybe, if the Lord leads, you just might wish to share it with your pastor.  However, in doing so, give God the credit, not the undersigned.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, in these latter days in which we live.  Lord willing, tomorrow there will be another Daily Thought message for you.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul