[Faith-talk] blindness and faith issues question

Poppa Bear heavens4real at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 22:08:25 UTC 2014

How old are you Beth? Have you two considered any pre marriage counseling? I don't know any couples who it wouldn't have benefitted before marriage. Here is the bottom line, getting married is about 1% as hard as staying married so try and make sure that you two are on the same page by getting the advice of wiser heads. For me, marriage is like parenting, opening a business, or building a house, you need good examples, solid advice, good materials and a lot of support. Sometimes people end up getting married because they are just so lonely or because so many others are against them being together and then once they are married they find out that the solidarity that they had before the marriage has dissipated and then a lot of the charm of overcoming the odds goes away and they start having dangerous doubts about why they got married. In my two cents, knowing that you two have similar beliefs are one of the best foundations you can build upon to have a lasting marriage IMO. The differences that sometimes seem small  at first can grow into giant chasms down the road so try and be patient and really follow the Lord in this. If you find yourself trying to make excuses for certain things and arguing against things that you know are red flags thinking that they will go away, then be honest with yourself and know that if you go into this you are at least going into it with your eyes open and the reason I say this is because some people go into a marriage and then find out that they made a painful choice and start trying to manipulate God and his word to try and get out of the marriage and justify their desire to divorce their spouse. I remember hearing a preacher talk about a woman who would come to him and talk about how hard her marriage was and how she knew that she just needed to except it because we all had our crosses from God that we had to bare, but then the pastor got down right truthful and laid it out to her and said, "God didn't give you this cross, you chased that cross down, you hunted it, even when your family and friends to you that you were choosing a relationship that didn't honor god you still went after him, so don't tell me that God you gave you this cross." This is just a little story of what can happened and for those of us who are married we can probably see how true the story is and only hope that the unmarried can take advantage of the wisdom in it.