[Faith-talk] a PS about the Harry Potter phenomenon

Poppa Bear heavens4real at gmail.com
Tue Dec 30 20:45:03 UTC 2014

Great point Debbie, I know that when we all encounter something like the
talking books we often are faced with the option to get books that we know
could be permissible, but not beneficial and some that could be downright
dangerous and as each person makes the choice of what to consciously read we
have opportunities to grow, sometimes we may read a very questionable book
and have the opportunity to grow in knowledge and then sometimes when we
say, "God, I just don't feel that me reading this book will honor you in any
way," and make the choice not to read it, I believe that we have the
opportunity to grow in Spirit and strengthen our faith and obedience. I
often like to refuse certain things not because the excepting of them may
make me feel guilty, or because somebody told me not to, I just like to try
and do that thing, make that choice that I think would pleas the Savior. I
remember hearing a story about this man's Mother in Law, He said that he had
invited her to a movie with the family one night, it wasn't a bad movie, but
she told him in a very sweet, non patronizing way that if the Savior came
back that night to get his children that she just didn't want to be hunkered
down in a movie theater. For some reason that always stuck with me, if the
Master came back right now, would I want to be doing this or that? But as
was said, I am glad that we have choices about what to read and what to
reject.