[Faith-talk] What is an "old soul?"

Poppa Bear heavens4real at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 04:31:38 UTC 2014

Hello Kendra let me throw a thought your way and you can let me know what
you think. I myself believe that reincarnation is for 1 mathematically
extremely improbable and very hard to embrace and that view is outside of me
being a Christian I think that the probability factor when considering
things related to the realm of population growth mixed with the possibility
of being reincarnated as something else besides a human and taking into
account all of the types of living species that are thrown into the
calculations I find too many holes that I can't mend, but I digress. I only
touch on that point to let you know a little of my thoughts, not to bash
yours. But here is my take on this, I will pose it as a question. Do you
think that it is possible to transfer thoughts, fears and experiences
through our DNA, our jeans? I mean, we pass all of these genetic maps down
why not other things? I think that when I put my hands in the dirt and
crumble some fresh soil and inhale a breath of fresh air, and an
indescribable feeling of familiarity washes over me, I believe that I may be
reliving an experience, a feeling that my great great grandfather had when
he put his hands in the soil and tilled the land three generations ago. I
believe that a hostel man who has committed much violence can pass that
trait down through his off spring through genetic patterns and experiences.
I feel that even outside of Christianity that this view could be a viable
possibility for why we can feel that we have been someplace before, or lived
in the past, because we really did, when we were in the veins of our
progenitors. When social science looks at the relation between one person
and the world around them they see that there are thousands of people who
can trace their self back to one person and as the chain of humanity
lengthens connecting hundreds, and thousands of lives, why would it be so
hard to believe that we couldn't be sharing part of all of those experiences
that were lived out by them before they had the off spring that led to my
existence? When I think of it this way, it brings me closer to my fellow
human being and I am able to sympathize with their pains, losses and joys
much clearer. Now that I think about it the Bible does talk about off spring
carrying blessings and curses from our fathers, I wonder if there could be a
correlation? Well, that's my meandering for now. Take care, and I wasn't
trying to knock your view.