[Faith-talk] a distressing book

qubit lauraeaves at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 31 08:45:46 UTC 2014

Hi Greg --
Obviously you are answering several persons from this thread, my post being
the last, but I'll reply anyway.

First, elephants:
I wasn't necessarily arguing for pluralism when I used the elephant analogy,
although you could look at it that way.  I never said the elephant
represented God or life.
The elephant in my analogy simply refered to the truth about anything
specific, not necessarily God or religion etc.  One example in physics is
the phenomenon of light.  Originally scientists thought it was made up of
waves, but then found that it also exhibited behaviors of particles.
So which is true? Both , until some other discovery changes the way it is
viewed and used.

As for pluralism being a better approach to finding truth, obviously not
every religion is true, or 100% true, and there are all kinds of paths to
take that can be destructive.  But dismissing something that you feel has
truth in it (you know, "virtuous,lovely,of good report or praiseworthy"),
Christians should be seeking after these things...  But  I think you are
arguing both ends against the middle when you dismiss tolerance and open
mindedness. As long as you don't open your mind so far that it fills with
garbage...

Your assertion that seeking truth is best done in community I agree with to
a point.  But in the case of spiritual or religious matters, there is the
quote in
2 Peter 1:20,21:
20 Knowing this first, that no prophecy of the scripture is of any private
interpretation.

21 For the prophecy came not in old time by the will of man: but holy men of
God spake as they were moved by the Holy Ghost.

Of course, everyone uses those verses to promote their own church doctrines.
But everyone who has received the HG can received inspiration in their
hearts to know if something is right.

Ok, I'll quit rambling.
I enjoy academic discussions but don't think a committee can dictate what
God says, unless inspired by God, and I don't think some things are knowable
by limited logic.

Happy New Year all.
--le