[Faith-talk] a PS about the Harry Potter phenomenon

Debby Phillips semisweetdebby at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 21:17:24 UTC 2014

Okay, I recognize that certain things are sinful, and that's not
just in Christianity, but stuff like murder.  But here's a prime
example of something that not all Christians see as sinful.  I
occasionally have a glass of wine with a meal, a beer on a hot
day, or for a special occasion, maybe I'll have a mixed drink,
like a rum and Coke, (although I prefer Pepsi).  Lol.  Now,
probably you, Timothy would see that as sin.  But I'm guessing
that some other Christians on this list, would not.  So therefore
I understand Brandon's question.  By whose rules is something
sinful? There are books that I have started to read that I have
stopped reading, because something within me said, Don't read
that book.  It could be the Holy Spirit, or my conscience.  But
whatever, I stop reading the book.  And for me to continue to
read that book would be sin.  But that doesn't mean that it would
be sin for someone else to read it.  A specific example: it would
be totally sinful for ME, and I am only saying me, to read a book
on Satan written by a satanist.  But there are Christians who
read those books and study them and they do it with a clear
conscience because they are studying that particular subject so
as to be able to articulate more clearly why something may be
wrong, from a Christian perspective.  I hope I'm making sense
here.  And perhaps before I get myself too entangled, I'll go
lurk again.    Blessings,    Debby and Neena