[Faith-talk] dank and generations

Poppa Bear heavens4real at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 21:33:45 UTC 2014

Hello Maureen, that is a great testimony. You know, I didn't grow up with my father, but as I look at his life now and other family members on that side of the family I unfortunately see a lot of the traits that I have struggled to overcome in my life. In their lives many of them were born with a small bent, or a little seed of these bad habits, sicknesses or diseases but instead of uprooting them, they have spent a life cultivating them. I definitely believe in that the sins of the father can be passed down, but I don't believe that they have to be kept or passed on to the next generation.
Below is a short peace from a book I finished the other day that hints about this a little. The writer is alluding to the fact that the young boy in the story comes from a long line of family members who idolized beautiful things so much that it was to their down fall. It may take a couple readings to get the direction of it if anyone is even interested
"in going that far, " the shadowy loveliness of Lady Joan, had a hold of his heart that
savored of idolatry. The love was born in him, had come down into
him through generation after generation of ancestors, had a power
over him for whose existence he was not accountable, but for whose
continuance, as soon as he became aware of its existence, he would
know himself accountable. For Cosmo was not one of those weaklings
who, finding in themselves certain tendencies with whose existence
they had nothing to do, and therefore in whose presence they have
no blame, say to themselves, "I cannot help it," and at once create
evil, and make it their own, by obeying the inborn impulse.
Inheritors of a lovely estate, with a dragon in a den, which they
have to kill that the brood may perish, they make friends with the
dragon, and so think to save themselves the trouble of doing away with it.
"
The last part is so true, we find ourselves born with amazing gifts, prospects and hopes but we run into these dragons that our for fathers left in the basement and rather than go and vanquish them we end up making friends with them, feeding them and then passing them down to our off spring.