[Faith-talk] blindness as a gift

Julie McGinnity kaybaycar at gmail.com
Sat Feb 8 17:08:27 UTC 2014

Hi Aleeha,

I get you here.  I honestly do.  You said it more directly than I ever
have, but I completely agree with you.  Our blindness allows us to be
in situations more often in which we can educate people.  As
educators, we have a chance to show them who we are and tell our
stories.  How many of us have been asked to speak about what it's like
to live as a blind person/guide dog user/disabled person?  Whatever it
is...

I know many people don't like being the center of attention...  I can
tell you; it's not always something I want, but that's only one thing
I can think of.  There are many gifts that I have received that I
wouldn't have had if I was sighted-the ability to meet and work with
people in the NFB, the ability to work with a guide dog and have that
awesome bond, and yes, the ability to help where others can't in
matters of advocacy.
Sure...  Life sucks in a particular way when you're blind.  We have
career related issues, transportation problems, and print seems to be
the reading medium of choice for the world.  But even so, I wouldn't
change my blindness, and I am so grateful for some things it brings.
I really do believe that God knows what He's doing.  I am blind for a
reason, and that's ok with me.  He didn't give me my strengths and
abilities(along with my blindness) so that I can sit here and do
nothing.
He gave them to me for billions of reasons, some of which I may never know.

All to say, Aleeha, I agree with you here and get where you're coming from.

--
Julie McG
National Association of Guide dog Users board member,  National