[Faith-talk] Liberty versus travesty.

Kirt kirt.crazydude at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 22:54:45 UTC 2014

I suspect we don't disagree as much as you think we do. I never claimed all terrorists are Muslim and I happen to believe very strongly that the vast majority of Muslims are good people, just like the vast majority of Christians and Jews and Buddhists and Hindus and atheists and agnostics are all good people. If my comments gave you the impression that I think less of Islam or Muslims then I think of other people, I would respectfully suggest you are misunderstanding what I am saying but I apologize for giving you that impression all the same. And, to be clear, The sick propaganda I hear from some fanatical Christian extremists absolutely sickens, horrifies and disgusts me… but I firmly believe that in order to protect the liberty of citizens democratic governments are legally bound not to interfere with this hateful speech, Which I find absolutely repulsive, unless it becomes a real danger to the life liberty or property of those being vilified. I hope you understand the distinction I'm making between "legal"and "right."I absolutely agree with Mustafa when he says that we ought to be civil and respectful in discussing our differing opinions; and of course it's wrong to maliciously spread hateful propaganda. However, as history has shown us, Government bans against hate speech are ineffective and, if anything, inspire the very violence they set out to prevent. Yes, because America was established on the idea that the government exists to protect the natural rights of the governed, and because one of those integral rights happens to be free expression, A government set up under such a system cannot simply ban speech which the majority finds offensive. Just because the Pat Roberts I have the right to speak my opinion precisely because the Pat Robertsons and Anne Colters of this country also have the right to spew their filthy nonsense. All I'm saying is, for government to really protect The liberty of its citizens, it can't differentiate between the people who are being respectful and the people who are spreading disgusting propaganda. This is, of course, one of the main flaws of democracy… but again I think history teaches us that every other system which has been tried, including the suppression of dissenting voices, reprehensible and disgusting though they might be, ultimately causes more violence and depression and tyrany.

Of course I commend most awful for being respectful and open to engaging in thoughtful and civil dialogue. I also wish nothing but the best for him and Sarah and, Doris, I agree with you that The future hope of humanity lies in today's young people being more willing to engage in such open dialogue. The only area where me and Mostafa seem to disagree on this issue, and it is a substantial disagreement indeed, is whether or not government has the right or responsibility to try and force all free speech to be civil and respectful. In my mind, that defeats the purpose, and leads to less liberty for everybody involved more often than not.
All the best,
Kirt

Sent from my iPhone