[Faith-talk] Daily Thought for Thursday, January 23, 2014

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 23 20:37:14 UTC 2014

Hello and good day once again to all my fellow readers.  I hope this post finds you well and, for those of us living from the Midwest to the Northeastern part of the U.S. and perhaps even into Canada, that you're warm.  As for me, I can't complain about that.

Our article contributor for today is Therese Marszalek who lives in Washington State.  Her contribution is about the raising of Jairus' daughter from the dead, and it is simply entitled "Just Believe," rendered as follows:

Jairus, a ruler of the synagogue, was a desperate man.  Falling at Jesus' feet, he pleaded for Him to come to his house.  His only daughter was dying and Jesus was his list--and only--hope.

Jesus started toward Jairus's home, but was delayed when a desperate woman, who had suffered from a 12-year-long bleeding problem, approached him for healing.  And Jesus, as He always did when someone sought Him, took time to free the woman from her suffering.

Although he had witnessed a wondrous healing when virtue flowed from Jesus to the woman, Jairus might have sensed growing anxiety at this point.  His daughter was near death.  They must move on, as time was ticking away and every moment counted.

But time ran out.  Before they reached their destination where the sick girl was, Jairus received word that his daughter was dead.  "There's no reason to bother the Teacher any longer," they told him.  His little girl had died and his last hope had died with her.

Yet Jesus, breathing hope into the seemingly hopeless circumstances, told Jairus, "Don't be afraid; just believe, and she will be healed."

I wonder what might have gone through the mourning father's mind? Just believe? Believe what? My beloved daughter is dead.  Her life is over.  She isn't breathing.  What good is it to believe now?

Those questions, and more, would surely have gone through my mind too! What good _would it be for him to believe? The very thought of believing likely seemed foolish.  His precious daughter was _gone.  It was, after all, supposedly too late to believe, and because she had taken her last breath, too late for her to be healed.

Yet Jesus' words, sent forth with divine purpose, would not return void, but would accomplish that which they were sent to accomplish.  His life-giving words captured Jairus's heart.  _Just _believe, he might have thought, pondering the simplicity of Jesus' words.  Just believe.  Jesus, the healer, the miracle worker, told me to just believe.

As they completed their journey toward his dead daughter, hope emerged and faith took hold, preparing Jairus for the scene he would encounter back home, where people were already mourning and wailing over his daughter's death.

Jesus, unmoved by the thick atmosphere of death, told the mourners, "Stop wailing! She is not dead, but asleep."

It's understandable why people laughed when Jesus claimed that the girl was merely asleep.  She was no longer breathing; her body was already cool.  Rigor mortis had likely set in.  All signs in the natural realm indicated that Jairus's daughter was, in fact, dead.  Funeral plans were already underway.  She needed burial.

But Jesus, speaking resurrection life to the little girl, said, "My child, get up!" And at once, her spirit returned and she stood up.  Imagine Jairus's response when his little girl arose! When all seemed hopeless, Jesus breathed resurrection life into his family.

Has someone sent word that the things for which you've believed God have died? Have people advised that it's no use praying or asking God for help any longer, as it's too late? Are funeral plans already underway to bury and forget your God-given dreams?

"Just believe," Jesus says.  "Just believe." People may laugh, as they laughed at Jesus, when you proclaim that life remains in that which appears dead.  As you profess, "It's not dead, but asleep," you likely will not receive applause or standing ovation.  "Aw, come on!" some may mock in unbelief.  "It's too late for that dream.  Forget about it.  Can't you see, it's ... dead?"

As Jesus said to Jairus, "Don't be afraid; just believe." Take Jesus to the place where rigor mortis appears to have set in, even if the wailing and mourning over the death of your dream is drowning out your confession of faith.  Just believe.  Let faith take hold and capture your heart.  Just believe.

Hold fast to that which God has conceived in you.  In spite of appearances, it's _never too late with Jesus.  Death itself cannot survive when He breathes resurrection life into that which is dead or appears dead.  Nothing is impossible with a God of love, who will bring to completion and birth that which He conceived in you.

And there you have Therese's article which I hope was a blessing to you.  If interested, you can find more of her writings at http://www.theresemarszalek.com.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, in these last days in which we live.  Lord willing, tomorrow there will be another Daily Thought message for you.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul