[Faith-talk] Daily Thought for Saturday, January 25, 2014

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 25 18:53:47 UTC 2014

Hello and good day to all my readers on this Saturday, a day which the Lord has made (Psalm 118:24).  I hope that you are all doing well on this day.

I thought that we would present some humorous vignettes for your reading and laughing pleasure today that I've collected from here and there.  Please note that if a particular place name is mentioned, it does not reflect on your particular situation or circumstance.  With that said, let's begin.

An elderly woman lived on a small farm in Canada, just yards away from the North Dakota border.  Their land had been the subject of a minor dispute between the United States and Canada for years.  The now widowed woman lived on the farm with her son and three grandchildren.

One day, her son came into her room holding a letter.  "I just got some news, Mom," he said.  "The government has come to an agreement with the people in Washington.  They've decided that our land is really part of the United States.  We have the right to approve or disapprove of the agreement.  What do you think?"

"What do I think?" his mother said.  "Sign it! Call them right now and tell them we accept! I don't think I could stand another one of those Canadian winters!"

A Wisconsin lady was picking through the frozen turkeys at the grocery store, but couldn't find one big enough for her family.  She asked a stock boy, "Do these turkeys get any bigger?"

The stock boy replied, "No ma'am, they're dead."

A Lutheran church in Minnesota was so big that when the top floor needed repairs, the workers rigged up a "cage elevator" inside so they could easily get material to the upper floors.  This was a simple contraption, which required that the doors be closed manually before the elevator could be called to another floor.

One day one of the workers, Peter, took the elevator to the top floor.  At the same time, Pastor Mark was preparing a report for the church board on the progress of the repairs and was calling the elevator on the ground floor.  Unfortunately, Peter forgot and left the door open.  The pastor rang for the elevator a couple of times before he realized that Peter had likely left the elevator door open.  Pastor Mark would have to yell to have the elevator doors closed.

Just as he began yelling, the church council came in, early for the meeting.  They were surprised to see Pastor Mark yelling up toward the heavens:  "Peter! Peter! CLOSE THE GATES!"

Well, I don't know about you, but with everything going on this week, what with the weather and my concern about two loved ones, I needed those stories to make me laugh.  I hope they also made you chuckle at least.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, in these last days in which we live.  Lord willing, tomorrow there will be another Bible poem for you to mull over.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul