[Faith-talk] Daily Thought for Thursday, July 31, 2014

Paul oilofgladness47 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 18:16:33 UTC 2014

Hello and good day t you all on this last day of July or, if you're in Australia or New Zealand, it's morning on 1 August.  Whatever time of day it is or day of the week, I hope that you are doing well, by God's matchless grace and His providential care.

Several years ago Genie Dickerson from Washington State wrote an article which, although it doesn't use the terms "Christian" or "God" in its pages, nevertheless sets an example of what a Christian should be.  Her article is entitled "A Second Start" and is rendered as follows:

Beginning a walk around the block, I turned north to avoid Julia standing in her driveway to the south.  We weren't speaking, not since our session with a city mediator concerning the common property line.  The problem got solved, but Julia and I still weren't speaking.  Neither of us seemed interested in it.

I knew God wanted me to forgive her.  Wasn't it enough that I left julia alone--no rudeness, no gossip, no pettiness? I probably shouldn't have been avoiding her.  I just didn't want to chat with her.  After all, what did I have to say to her? Anything more and God would have to show me how.

Next door on my north I noticed Sharon out tending her fabulous front yard vegetable garden.  We talked about her basil and horseradish.  She asked for a hand lifting and repositioning a wooden garden bench.  We easily managed it together.

One door farther on, Ron approached his two-story colonial house, returning from his daily walk.  He pointed out to Sharon and me the place where he had seen a wild rabbit.  We chuckled about the bunny and all Sharon's tempting veggies just beginning the summer growing season.

I rounded the corner and saw Kathy talking with another woman in the doorway of her rambler.  We all waved and greeted one another as I walked by.  "You always say hello to everyone!" Kathy called.  Well, almost everyone.

Down the way Dawn spotted me.  "How's it going? Haven't seen you for a while.  Sometimes I honk when I drive by you, when I see you walking.  But you're usually in a daze," she laughed.

I asked about her kids, and had she seen the wild rabbit? No rabbit, but her boys were starting baseball season.

I made the last turn for home.  Don was out mowing his lawn.  The air carried hints of fresh cut grass.  I shouted, "Hello there, Don!" and he waved back.

Three houses from home I spied Julia, still out in her driveway, or maybe she had gone in and come out again.  My mouth, which hadn't much closed on my entire walk, let out, "Hi, Julia!" I couldn't help it.  Had I put aside memories of the conflict? I had, right then I did.

Taken aback by my words, she responded weakly, "Oh, hi."

I smiled, happily accepting credit for what was nothing but a team effort.

Well folks, I guess I spoke too soon about not finding the name of God in this article.  Anyway I hope you enjoyed Genie's contribution.

And now may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, in these last days in which we live.  Lord willing, tomorrow there will be another Daily Thought article for you.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul