[Faith-talk] Christianity and Gnosticism

Poppa Bear via Faith-talk faith-talk at nfbnet.org
Tue Jun 3 20:34:18 UTC 2014

Hello Devin, welcome to the list. This is a good question. Let me ask you
this, when you talk about the soul being eternal, are you saying that it is
an either or definition? I mean, are you saying that the concept of the soul
being eternal is either Gnostic based or Orthodox Christianity based? I
believe that it is both myself. Now to the point of your question, are you
asking if the soul is eternal then the resurrection is not necessary? Now to
throw this possible answer out there if I am understanding you, the
resurrection according to the Bible is what happens to believers who become
children of God through a relationship with Jesus Christ, the resurrection
for believers means that when we die in this body, we are then resurrected
as new children who are  raised to a new life that is like the resurrected
Christ who is considered the first born from death and the model of who we
will be after the resurrection. Now, the resurrection also has to do with
what believers will not only be, but what they will receive as a reward in
heaven from God as the Bible talks about as well. For non believers, it is
not a resurrection to new life in the presents of God as his children, but
it is a judgment before God for rejecting Christ/s work on the cross, and
breaking the laws of God that he has placed in all men's heart even if they
have never heard the message of the Gospel. But in all of this, the soul is
eternal and either dwells in the presence of God, or the judgment of those
who have rejected Gods revelation about his plan of salvation.
I have given you the Biblical perspective as briefly and clearly as I can
and I hope it sheds a little light on your question.