[Faith-talk] Men Who Were Converted Trying to Disprove the Bible - Part 1 of 3

Linda Mentink via Faith-talk faith-talk at nfbnet.org
Thu May 15 17:13:18 UTC 2014

Hi all,

This was a blessing to me, so I'm going to share all three parts.

   Fundamental Baptist Information Service, PO
Box 610368, Port Huron, MI 48061 , 866-295-4143 -
<mailto:fbns at wayoflife.org>fbns at wayoflife.org.
Unless otherwise indicated, these reports are by
David Cloud. Reports are also posted to our
<http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=JhXGU&m=3Vj1KRsLjRNpjkC&b=iBLykOtOoy_TlCeKZt2yOQ>website.
To manage your subscription use the links at the
bottom of this email. Tips to ensure delivery and
other helpful information can be found on our
mail list
<http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=JhXGU&m=3Vj1KRsLjRNpjkC&b=P58Iut7IWKD0Pz.WiA_Iig>help
page.

Men Who Were Converted Trying to Disprove the Bible - Part 1 of 3

April 7, 2014

__________

Above all other books, the Bible has been hated,
vilified, ridiculed, criticized, restricted,
banned, and destroyed, but it has been to no
avail. As one rightly said, “We might as well
put our shoulder to the burning wheel of the sun,
and try to stop it on its flaming course, as
attempt to stop the circulation of the Bible”
(Sidney Collett, All about the Bible, p. 63).

In A.D. 303, the Roman Emperor Diocletian issued
an edict to stop Christians from worshipping
Jesus Christ and to destroy their Scriptures.
Every official in the empire was ordered to raze
the churches to the ground and burn every Bible
found in their districts (Stanley Greenslade,
Cambridge History of the Bible). Twenty-five
years later Diocletian’s successor,
Constantine, issued another edict ordering fifty
Bibles to be published at government expense (Eusebius).

In 1778 the French infidel Voltaire boasted that
in 100 years Christianity would cease to exist,
but within 50 years the Geneva Bible Society used
his press and house to publish Bibles (Geisler
and Nix, A General Introduction to the Bible, 1986, pp. 123, 124).

Robert Ingersoll once boasted, “Within 15 years
I’ll have the Bible lodged in a morgue.” But
Ingersoll is dead, and the Bible is alive and well.

In fact, many who set out to disprove the Bible
have been converted, instead. The following are a few examples:

Gilbert West (1703-1756)

Gilbert West was included in Samuel Johnson’s
Lives of the Most Eminent English Poets. As a
student at Oxford, West set out to debunk the
Bible’s account of Christ’s resurrection.
Instead, having proved to himself that Christ did
rise from the dead, he was converted. West
published his conclusions in the book
Observations on the History and Evidences of the
Resurrection of Jesus Christ (1747). On the
fly-leaf he had the following printed: “Blame
not before thou hast examined the truth.”

West concluded his book with these words:

“If Christ had not risen, and proved himself by
many infallible tokens to have risen from the
dead, the Apostles and Disciples could have had
no inducement to believe in him, that is to
acknowledge him for the Messiah, the Anointed of
God; on the contrary, they must have taken him
for an impostor, and under that persuasion could
never have become preachers of the Gospel,
without becoming euthusiasts or impostors, in
either of which characters it is impossible they
should have succeeded, to the degree which we are
assured they did, considering their natural
insufficiency, the strong opposition of all the
world to the doctrines of Christianity, and their
own high pretensions to miraculous powers, about
which they could neither have been deceived
themselves, nor have deceived others. Supposing
therefore that Christ did not rise from the Dead,
it is certain, according to all human
probability, there could never have been any such
thing at all as Christianity, or it must have
been stifled soon after its birth. This is a fact
about which there is no dispute, but Christians
and Infidels disagree in accounting for this
fact. Christians affirm their religion to be of
divine original, and to have grown up and
prevailed under the miraculous assistance and
protection of God; and this they not only affirm,
and offer to prove by the same kind of evidence,
by which all remote facts are proved, but think
it may very fairly be inferred form the wonderful
circumstances of its growth and increase, and its
present existence. Infidels, on the other hand,
assert Christianity to be an imposture, invented
and carried on by men. In the maintenance of
which assertion, their great argument against the
credibility of the Resurrection, and the other
miraculous proofs of the divine original of the
Gospel, founded in their being miraculous, that
is, out of the ordinary course of nature, will be
of no service to them, since they will still find
a miracle in their way, namely, the amazing
birth, growth, and increase of Christianity.Which
facts, though they should not be able to account
for them, they cannot however deny. In order
therefore to destroy the evidence drawn from them
by Christians, they must prove them not to have
been miraculous, by shewing how they could have
been effected in the natural course of human
affairs, by such weak instruments as Christ and
his Apostles (taking them to be what they are
pleased to call them, enthusiasts or impostors)
and by such means as they were possessed of and
employed But this I imagine to be as much above
the capacity of the greatest philosophers to
shew, as it is to prove the possibility of
executing the proud boast of Archimedes (even
granting his Postulatum) of moving and wielding
the globe of this earth, by machines of human
invention, and composed of such materials only,
as nature furnishes for the ordinary use of
man” (Observations on the History and Evidences
of the Resurrection of Jesus Christ, pp. 442-445).

George Lyttelton (1709-1773)

George Lyttelton was an English statesman,
author, and poet who was educated at Eton and
Oxford. Among other things he published a History of Henry II.

As a young man he set out to prove that Paul was
not converted as the Bible states. Instead, he
wrote a book containing evidence that Paul was
indeed converted and that his conversion is
evidence that Jesus rose from the dead. The book
was titled Observations on the Conversion and
Apostleship of St. Paul (1747). Lyttleton
observed that from an earthly perspective Paul
had absolutely nothing to gain and everything to
lose by testifying that he had seen the risen
Christ. Giving up his position and prestige as a
Jewish religious leader, he joined the despised
Christian sect and was hounded, mocked, and
persecuted for the rest of his life, finally
paying the ultimate price for his Christian faith, death by beheading.

Lyttlelton began his book with these words:

“In a late conversation we had together upon
the subject of the Christian religion, I told
you, that besides all the proofs of it which may
be drawn from the prophecies of the Old
Testament, from the necessary connection it has
with the whole system of the Jewish religion,
from the miracles of Christ, and from the
evidence given of his Resurrection by all the
other Apostles, I thought the conversion and the
apostleship of St. Paul alone, duly considered,
was of itself a demonstration sufficient to prove
Christianity to be a divine Revelation. As you
seemed to think that so compendious a proof might
be of use to convince those unbelievers that will
not attend to a longer series of arguments, I
have thrown together the reasons upon which I
suppose that proposition” (page 4).

The famous British lexicographer Samuel Johnson
said “infidelity has never been able to
fabricate a specious answer” to Lyttelton’s book.

Albert Henry Ross (Frank Morison) (1881-1950)

Albert Ross was a lawyer, journalist, and
novelist who grew up in Stratford-on-Avon,
England. He was deeply affected by the skepticism
of the times, particularly the attacks on the
Bible by theological liberalism and Darwinism.
After becoming a lawyer, he set out to write a
book to disprove the resurrection of Jesus
Christ. Instead, he was converted and wrote a
book in defense of the resurrection entitled WHO
MOVED THE STONE? -- which is still in print
today. He wrote the book under the name of Frank Morison.

“If you will carry your mind back in
imagination to the late nineties [1890s] you will
find in the prevailing intellectual attitude of
that period the key to much of my thought. ...
the work of the higher critics -- particularly
the German critics -- had succeeded in spreading
a prevalent impression among students that the
particular form in which the narrative of His
life and death had come down to us was
unreliable, and that one of the four records was
nothing other than a brilliant apologetic written
many years, and perhaps many decades, after the
first generation had passed away.

“Like most other young men deeply immersed in
other things, I had no means of verifying or
forming an independent judgment upon these
statements, but the fact that almost every word
of the Gospels was just then the subject of high
wrangling and dispute did very largely color the
thought of the time, and I suppose I could hardly escape its influence.

“But there was one aspect of the subject that
touched me closely. I had already begun to take a
deep interest in physical science, and one did
not have to go very far in those days to discover
that scientific thought was obstinately and even
dogmatically opposed to what are called the
miraculous elements in the Gospels. Very often
the few things the textual critics had left
standing science proceeded to undermine.
Personally I did not attach anything like the
same weight to the conclusions of the textual
critics that I did to this fundamental matter of
the miraculous. It seemed to me that purely
documentary criticism might be mistaken, but that
the laws of the universe should go back on
themselves in a quite arbitrary and
inconsequential manner seemed very improbable.
Had not Huxley himself declared in a peculiarly
final way that ‘miracles do not happen,’
while Matthew Arnold, with his famous gospel of
‘Sweet Reasonableness,’ had spent a great
deal of his time in trying to evolve a non-miraculous Christianity?

“It was about this time -- more for the sake of
my own peace of mind than for publication -- that
I conceived the idea of writing a short monograph
on what seemed to me to be the supremely
important and critical phase in the life of
Christ -- the last seven days -- though later I
came to see that the days immediately succeeding
the Crucifixion were quite as crucial. The title
I chose was ‘Jesus, the Last Phase,’ a
conscious reminiscence of a famous historical study by Lord Rosebery. ...

“Such, briefly, was the purpose of the book I
had planned. I wanted to take this last phase of
the life of Jesus, with all its quick and
pulsating drama, its sharp, clear-cut background
of antiquity, and its tremendous psychological
and human interest--to strip it of its overgrowth
of primitive beliefs and dogmatic suppositions,
and to see this supremely great person as He really was.

“I need not stay to describe here how, fully
ten years later, opportunity came to study the
life of Christ as I had long wanted to study it,
to investigate the origins of its literature, to
examine some of the evidence at first hand, and
to form my own judgment on the problem it
presents. I will only say that it effected a
revolution in my thought. Things emerged from
old-world story that previously I should have
thought impossible. Slowly but very definitely
the conviction grew that the drama of those
unforgettable weeks of human history was stranger
and deeper than it seemed. It was the strangeness
of many notable things in the story that first
arrested and held my interest. It was only later
that the irresistible logic of their meaning came into view.

“I want to try, in the remaining chapters of
this book, to explain why that other venture
never came to port, what were hidden rocks on
which it foundered, and how I landed to me, an
unexpected shore” (“The Book That Refused to
Be Written,” chapter 1, Who Moved the Stone?).

Morison concluded that the only explanation that
can satisfy all of the historical facts was that
Jesus Christ actually rose from the dead. Morison
became a C.S. Lewis-type Christian, believing in
Christ’s divinity and resurrection but not
believing in the infallible inspiration of
Scripture, and his book Who Moved the Stone? is
handicapped by this position. While Morison
accepted the four Gospels as basically
historical, he believed that some statements are
more trustworthy than others and some things
might have been added later. Thus, though he
threw off the shackles of theological modernism
pertaining to the person of Christ, he did not
throw off the shackles of the equally erroneous
“principles of modern textual criticism.” He
held, for example, to the fallacy that Mark’s
Gospel should end at chapter 16 verse 8.

Simon Greenleaf (1783-1853)

Simon Greenleaf, Royall Professor of Law at
Harvard University, was one of the most
celebrated legal minds in American history. His
Treatise on the Law of Evidence “is still
considered the greatest single authority on
evidence in the entire literature of legal procedure.”

As a law professor, he determined to expose the
“myth” of the resurrection of Christ once and
for all, but his thorough examination forced him
to conclude, instead, that Jesus did rise from
the dead. In 1846 he published An Examination of
the Testimony of the Four Evangelists by the
Rules of Evidence Administered in the Courts of Justice.

Thus, one of the most celebrated minds in the
legal profession of the past two centuries took
the resurrection of Christ to trial, diligently
examined the evidence, and judged it to be an
established fact of history! And this was in
spite of the fact that he began his investigation as a skeptic.

One of Greenleaf’s points is that nothing but
the resurrection itself can explain the dramatic
change in Christ’s disciples and their
willingness to suffer and die for their testimony.

Consider an excerpt:

“Their master had recently perished as a
malefactor, by the sentence of a public tribunal.
His religion sought to overthrow the religions of
the whole world. The laws of every country were
against the teachings of His disciples. The
interests and passions of all the rulers and
great men in the world were against them. The
fashion of the world was against them.
Propagating this new faith, even in the most
inoffensive and peaceful manner, they could
expect nothing but contempt, opposition,
revilings, bitter persecutions, stripes,
imprisonments, torments, and cruel deaths. Yet
this faith they zealously did propagate; and all
these miseries they endured undismayed, nay,
rejoicing. As one after another was put to a
miserable death, the survivors only prosecuted
their work with increased vigor and resolution.
The annals of military warfare afford scarcely an
example of the like heroic constancy, patience,
and unblenching courage. They had every possible
motive to review carefully the grounds of their
faith, and the evidences of the great facts and
truths which they asserted; and these motives
were pressed upon their attention with the most
melancholy and terrific frequency. It was
therefore impossible that they could have
persisted in affirming the truths they have
narrated, had not Jesus actually risen from the
dead, and had they not known this fact as
certainly as they knew any other fact. ... If
then their testimony was not true, there was no
possible motive for its fabrication”
(Greenleaf, An Examination of the Testimony of
the Four Evangelists by the Rules of Evidence).

Sale
Give Attendance to Doctrine

<http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=JhXGU&m=3Vj1KRsLjRNpjkC&b=1E52kD5UcmpGmYUsbImFQQ>Information

Book $9.95
<http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=JhXGU&m=3Vj1KRsLjRNpjkC&b=1E52kD5UcmpGmYUsbImFQQ>Options:
Coil binding, Large print, tests

______

eBook $9.95
pdf version
<http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=JhXGU&m=3Vj1KRsLjRNpjkC&b=wUD1y7WmEfZPzoA8ZzHm7g>

O Timothy
Paper and online digital editions available.

Free eBook!
The Collapse of Separatism Among Fundamental Baptists

download now!

<http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=JhXGU&m=3Vj1KRsLjRNpjkC&b=GwYRPWhpkEiF.dX8ia7pXg>Give
an Offering
Way of Life
Problems reading article? See it on our
<http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=JhXGU&m=3Vj1KRsLjRNpjkC&b=l1YDIQgVWe1d.xwLDqsDNw>website.
Please notify us of broken formatting, etc.

Sharing Policy:  You may freely copy and share
and/or use excerpts from this article. You should
mention the full name of the article and credit
David Cloud, Way of Life Literature,
<http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=JhXGU&m=3Vj1KRsLjRNpjkC&b=l1YDIQgVWe1d.xwLDqsDNw>www.wayoflife.org.
Please read our full policy
here:
<http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=JhXGU&m=3Vj1KRsLjRNpjkC&b=PDtDLl4382mYeXiY9fwz2w>www.wayoflife.org/sharing/

Distributed by Way of Life Literature's
Fundamental Baptist Information Service, a
service for Fundamental Baptists and other
fundamentalist, Bible-believing Christians.
Established in 1974, Way of Life Literature is a
fundamental Baptist preaching and publishing
ministry based in Bethel Baptist Church, London,
Ontario, of which Wilbert Unger is the founding
Pastor. Brother Cloud lives in South Asia where
he has been a church planting missionary since
1979. OUR GOAL IN THIS PARTICULAR ASPECT OF OUR
MINISTRY IS NOT DEVOTIONAL BUT IS TO PROVIDE
INFORMATION TO ASSIST PREACHERS IN THE PROTECTION
OF THE CHURCHES IN THIS APOSTATE HOUR. This
material is sent only to those who opt-in to the list.
   Use the links below to manage your account.

Way of Life Literature
P.O. Box 610368
Port Huron, MI 48061
<http://www.aweber.com/z/r/?zAysTBzMHLSsrExMjKycTLRGtEzMjExsLGyc>Unsubscribe