[Faith-talk] Men Who Were Converted Trying to Disprove the Bible - Part 2 of 3

Linda Mentink via Faith-talk faith-talk at nfbnet.org
Thu May 15 17:32:30 UTC 2014

Fundamental Baptist Information Service, PO Box
610368, Port Huron, MI 48061 , 866-295-4143 -
<mailto:fbns at wayoflife.org>fbns at wayoflife.org.
Unless otherwise indicated, these reports are by
David Cloud. Reports are also posted to our
<http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=JhXGU&m=3ilwBiNGtRNpjkC&b=1RD7Ee5tVJLoClM4RXCg0w>website.
To manage your subscription use the links at the
bottom of this email. Tips to ensure delivery and
other helpful information can be found on our
mail list
<http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=JhXGU&m=3ilwBiNGtRNpjkC&b=wSl3aD6VETkDeIUcHdQ_HA>help
page.

Men Who Were Converted Trying to Disprove the Bible - Part 2 of 3

April 8, 2014

__________

Above all other books, the Bible has been hated,
vilified, ridiculed, criticized, restricted,
banned, and destroyed, but it has been to no
avail. As one rightly said, “We might as well
put our shoulder to the burning wheel of the sun,
and try to stop it on its flaming course, as
attempt to stop the circulation of the Bible”
(Sidney Collett, All about the Bible, p. 63).

In A.D. 303, the Roman Emperor Diocletian issued
an edict to stop Christians from worshipping
Jesus Christ and to destroy their Scriptures.
Every official in the empire was ordered to raze
the churches to the ground and burn every Bible
found in their districts (Stanley Greenslade,
Cambridge History of the Bible). Twenty-five
years later Diocletian’s successor,
Constantine, issued another edict ordering fifty
Bibles to be published at government expense (Eusebius).

In 1778 the French infidel Voltaire boasted that
in 100 years Christianity would cease to exist,
but within 50 years the Geneva Bible Society used
his press and house to publish Bibles (Geisler
and Nix, A General Introduction to the Bible, 1986, pp. 123, 124).

Robert Ingersoll once boasted, “Within 15 years
I’ll have the Bible lodged in a morgue.” But
Ingersoll is dead, and the Bible is alive and well.

In fact, many who set out to disprove the Bible
have been converted, instead. The following are a few more examples:

WILLIAM MITCHELL RAMSAY (1851-1939)

William Ramsay was a renowned archaeologist and
New Testament scholar from Scotland. He was
knighted by the British crown for his work in archaeology.

He was raised an atheist, and as a brilliant
student at the University of Aberdeen in Scotland
and at Oxford University in England, he sat at
the feet of theological modernists and skeptics
who disbelieved the Bible. It was assumed that
the Bible is not historically accurate and that
it contains a large portion of mythology. It was
thought that the book of Acts was not written
until 150 A.D., about a century after the events it describes.

When Ramsay began archaeological and historical
research in Asia Minor beginning in 1881, he
expected and hoped to find more evidence against
the Bible. Instead, he discovered fact after fact
that supported the Bible. He eventually concluded
that the book of Acts was written during the
lifetime of the apostles and that it is
historically accurate. His discoveries led to his conversion to Christianity.

"He had spent years deliberately preparing
himself for the announced task of heading an
exploration expedition into Asia Minor and
Palestine where he would [find] the evidence that
the book was the product of ambitious monks, and
not the book from heaven it claimed to be. He
regarded the weakest spot in the whole New
Testament to be the story of Paul's travels.
These had never been thoroughly investigated by
one on the spot. Equipped as no other man had
been, he went to the home of the Bible. Here he
spent fifteen years digging. Then in 1896 he
published a large volume, Saint Paul, the
Traveler and the Roman Citizen. ... The book
caused a furor of dismay among the skeptics of
the world. Its attitude was utterly unexpected
because it was contrary to the announced
intention of the author years before. For twenty
years more, book after book from the same author
came from the press, each filled with additional
evidence of the exact, minute truthfulness of the
whole New Testament as tested by the spade on the
spot. And these books have stood the test of
time, not one having been refuted, nor have I
found even any attempt to refute them” (Josh
McDowell, The New Evidence That Demands a Verdict, p. 62).

Ramsay testified:

“The present writer takes the view that
Luke’s history is unsurpassed in respect of its
trustworthiness. At this point we are describing
what reasons and arguments changed the mind of
one who began under the impression that the
history was written long after the events and
that it was untrustworthy as a whole” (The
Bearing of Recent Discovery on the
Trustworthiness of the New Testament, 1915).

VIGGO OLSON

The following is excerpted from “From Agnostic
to Ambassador to Bangladesh,” Thanthropos.org:

Viggo Olsen was a brilliant surgeon who graduated
cum laude from medical school and later became a
diplomat of the American Board of Surgery and a
fellow of the American College of surgeons. In
1951 he was challenged by his wife’s parents to
examine the claims of Christianity for himself.

Olsen recalled, ‘Just alike a surgeon incises a
chest, we were going to slash into the Bible and
dissect out all its embarrassing scientific mistakes.’

After he started his investigation he ran into
problems. He remembers that he had trouble
finding scientific mistakes. ‘We’d find
something that seemed to be an error, but on
further reflection and study, we saw that our
understanding had been shallow. That made us sit up and take notice.’

After examining the evidence, Olsen became a
Christian and later gave his life to be a
missionary in Bangladesh. He was later honored
with Visa #001 for his contributions to the country.

This is a man who was extremely educated, a
brilliant surgeon, someone who was not willing to
take a blind leap of faith, and after exhaustive
research he was willing to admit, like so many
others have, that the historic Christian faith is
much more than a religion, it is based on a man
who walked this Earth as the Theanthropos, the
God-Man. The evidence that supports the
resurrection of Jesus is so overwhelming it
demands a verdict and Christianity lives and dies
by the fact of the resurrection--without it, Christianity does not hold water.

Olsen went from an agnostic to giving up his
career, his entire life, to serve people in Bangladesh. Olson testified:

‘It was the greatest adventure we could ever
have. When you’re in a hard place, when
you’re in over your head again and again, when
you’re sinking and beyond yourself and praying
your heart out--then you see God reach out and
touch your life and resolve the situation beyond
anything you could have ever hoped. ... That’s
living it up! In my opinion, finding the purpose
for which God made you--whatever it may be--and
then fully pursuing it is simply the very best way to live.’

Olsen documented his life in the famous book called Daktar.

JOSH MCDOWELL

Josh McDowell, the author of Evidence That
Demands a Verdict, was a skeptic when he entered
university to pursue a law degree. There he met
some Christians who challenged him to examine the
evidence for the Bible and Jesus Christ. Following is his testimony:

As a teenager, I wanted the answers to three
basic questions: Who am I? Why am I here? Where
am I going? ... So as a young student, I started looking for answers.

I thought that education might have the answer to
my quest for happiness and meaning. So I enrolled
in the university. What a disappointment! I have
probably been on more university campuses in my
lifetime than anyone else in history. You can
find a lot of things in the university, but
enrolling there to find truth and meaning in life is virtually a lost cause.

I used to buttonhole professors in their offices,
seeking the answers to my questions. When they
saw me coming they would turn out the lights,
pull down the shades, and lock the door so they
wouldn’t have to talk to me. I soon realized
that the university didn’t have the answers I
was seeking. Faculty members and my fellow
students had just as many problems, frustrations,
and unanswered questions about life as I had. A
few years ago I saw a student walking around a
campus with a sign on his back: ‘Don’t follow
me, I’m lost.’ That’s how everyone in the
university seemed to me. Education was not the answer!

Prestige must be the way to go, I decided. It
just seemed right to find a noble cause, give
yourself to it, and become well known. The people
with the most prestige in the university, and who
also controlled the purse strings, were the
student leaders. So I ran for various student
offices and got elected. It was great to know
everyone on campus, make important decisions, and
spend the university’s money doing what I
wanted to do. But the thrill soon wore off, as
with everything else I had tried.

Every Monday morning I would wake up with a
headache because of the way I had spent the
previous night. My attitude was, Here we go
again, another five boring days. Happiness for me
revolved around those three party-nights: Friday,
Saturday, and Sunday. Then the whole boring cycle would start over again.

Around this time I noticed a small group of
people on campus--eight students and two
faculty--and there was something different about
them. They seemed to know where they were going
in life. And they had a quality I deeply admire
in people: conviction. But there was something
more about this group that caught my attention.
It was love. These students and professors not
only loved each other, they loved and cared for people outside their group.

About two weeks later, I was sitting around a
table in the student union talking with some
members of this group. ... I turned to one of the
girls in the group and said, ‘Tell me, what
changed your lives? Why are you so different from
the other students and faculty?’

She looked me straight in the eye and said two
words I had never expected to hear in an
intelligent discussion on a university campus: ‘Jesus Christ.’

‘Jesus Christ?’ I snapped. ‘Don’t give me
that kind of garbage. I’m fed up with religion, the Bible, and the church.’

She quickly shot back, ‘Mister, I didn’t say
‘religion’; I said ‘Jesus Christ.’

Then my new friends issued me a challenge I
couldn’t believe. They challenged me, a pre-law
student, to examine intellectually the claim that
Jesus Christ is God’s Son. I thought this was a
joke. These Christians were so dumb. How could
something as flimsy as Christianity stand up to
an intellectual examination? I scoffed at their challenge.

I finally accepted their challenge, not to prove
anything but to refute them. I decided to write a
book that would make an intellectual joke of
Christianity. I left the university and traveled
throughout the United States and Europe to gather
evidence to prove that Christianity is a sham.

One day while I was sitting in a library in
London, England, I sensed a voice within me
saying, ‘Josh, you don’t have a leg to stand
on.’ I immediately suppressed it. But just
about every day after that I heard the same inner
voice. The more I researched, the more I heard
this voice. I returned to the United States and
to the university, but I couldn’t sleep at
night. I would go to bed at ten o'clock and lie
awake until four in the morning, trying to refute
the overwhelming evidence I was accumulating that Jesus Christ was God’s Son.

I began to realize that I was being
intellectually dishonest. My mind told me that
the claims of Christ were indeed true, but my
will was being pulled another direction. I had
placed so much emphasis on finding the truth, but
I wasn’t willing to follow it once I saw it. I
began to sense Christ’s personal challenge to
me in Revelation 3:20: ‘Here I am! I stand at
the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and
opens the door, I will come in and eat with him,
and he with me.’ But becoming a Christian
seemed so ego-shattering to me. I couldn’t
think of a faster way to ruin all my good times.

I knew I had to resolve this inner conflict
because it was driving me crazy. I had always
considered myself an open-minded person, so I
decided to put Christ’s claims to the supreme
test. One night at my home in Union City,
Michigan, at the end of my second year at the
university, I became a Christian.

I said, ‘Lord Jesus, thank You for dying on the
cross for me.’ I realized that if I were the
only person on earth, Christ would have still
died for me.’ ... I said, ‘I confess that I
am a sinner.’ No one had to tell me that. I
knew there were things in my life that were
incompatible with a holy, just, righteous God.
... I said, ‘Right now, in the best way I know
how, I open the door of my life and place my
trust in You as Saviour and Lord. Take over the
control of my life. Change me from the inside
out. Make me the type of person You created me to
be. (Josh McDowell, “He Changed My Life,” The
New Evidence That Demands a Verdict, Thomas Nelson, 1999, pp. xxv).

McDowell concludes:

After trying to shatter the historicity and
validity of the Scripture, I came to the
conclusion that it is historically trustworthy.
If one discards the Bible as being unreliable,
then one must discard almost all literature of antiquity.

“One problem I constantly face is the desire on
the part of many to apply one standard or test to
secular literature and another to the Bible. One
must apply the same test, whether the literature
under investigation is secular or religious.

“Having done this, I believe we can hold the
Scriptures in our hands and say, ‘The Bible is
trustworthy and historically reliable. (The New Evidence, p. 68).

RICHARD LUMSDEN

Richard Lumsden (1938-97), Ph.D., was converted
from Darwinian atheist to Bible-believing
Christian at the apex of his professional career.
When, challenged by one of his students, he
decided to check out the evidence for himself.

A professor of parisitology and cell biology,
Lumsden was dean of the graduate school at Tulane
University. He trained 30 Ph.D.s., published
hundreds of scholarly papers and was the winner
of the highest award for parasitology.

The following is excerpted from “The World’s
Greatest Creation Scientists” by David
Coppedge, which is available from Master Plan
Association, http://www.creationsafaris.com/products.htm --

“Dr. Richard D. Lumsden was fully grounded in
Darwinian philosophy, and had no reason or desire
to consider Christianity. Science was his faith:
the facts, and only the facts. But at the apex of
his professional career, he had enough integrity
to check out the facts, and made a difficult
choice to go where the facts led him, against
what he had been taught, and against what he
himself taught. His life took a dramatic
turnaround, from Darwinist to creationist, and from atheist to Christian.

“All through his career he believed Darwinian
evolution was an established principle of
science, and he took great glee in ridiculing
Christian beliefs. One day, he heard that
Louisiana had passed a law requiring equal time
for creation with evolution, and he was
flabbergasted--how stupid, he thought, and how
evil! He used the opportunity to launch into a
tirade against creationism in class, and to give
them his best eloquence in support of
Darwinism.  Little did he know he had a
formidable opponent in class that day. No, not a
silver-tongued orator to engage him in a battle
of wits; that would have been too easy. This time
it was a gentle, polite, young female student.

“This student went up to him after class and
cheerfully exclaimed, ‘Great lecture, Doc! Say,
I wonder if I could make an appointment with you;
I have some questions about what you said, and
just want to get my facts straight.’ Dr.
Lumsden, flattered with this student's positive
approach, agreed on a time they could meet in his
office. On the appointed day, the student thanked
him for his time, and started in.  She did not
argue with anything he had said about evolution
in class, but just began asking a series of
questions: ‘How did life arise? . . . Isn’t
DNA too complex to form by chance? . . . Why are
there gaps in the fossil record between major
kinds? . . . What are the missing links between
apes and man?She didn't act judgmental or
provocative; she just wanted to know. Lumsden,
unabashed, gave the standard evolutionary answers
to the questions.  But something about this
interchange began making him very uneasy.  He was
prepared for a fight, but not for a gentle,
honest set of questions. As he listened to
himself spouting the typical evolutionary
make any sense.  What I know about biology is
contrary to what I'm saying. When the time came
to go, the student picked up her books and
smiled, ‘Thanks, Doc!’ and left. On the
outside, Dr. Lumsden appeared confident; but on
the inside, he was devastated. He knew that
everything he had told this student was wrong.

“Dr. Lumsden had the integrity to face his new
doubts honestly. He undertook a personal research
project to check out the arguments for evolution,
and over time, found them wanting.  Based on the
scientific evidence alone, he decided he must
reject Darwinism, and he became a
creationist.  But as morning follows night, he
had to face the next question, Who is the
Creator?  Shortly thereafter, by coincidence or
not, his sister invited him to church. It was so
out of character for this formerly crusty,
self-confident evolutionist to go to church! Not
much earlier, he would have had nothing to do
with religion. But now, he was open to reconsider
the identity of the Creator, and whether the
claims of the Bible were true. His atheistic
philosophy had also left him helpless to deal
with guilt and bad habits in his personal life.
This time he was open, and this time he heard the
Good News that God had sent His Son to pay the
penalty for our sins, and to offer men forgiveness and eternal life.

“A tremendous struggle was going on in Dr.
Lumsden's heart as he listened to the sermon.
When the service ended, the pastor gave an
invitation to come to the front and decide once
and for all, publicly, to receive Christ. Dr.
Lumsden describes the turmoil he was in: ‘With
flesh protesting every inch of the way, I found
myself walking forward, down to the altar.  And
there, found God!  Truly, at that moment, I came
to know Him, and received the Lord Jesus Christ
as my Lord and Savior.’ There’s room at the
cross even for know-it-all science professors, if
they are willing to humble themselves and bow
before the Creator to whom the scientific evidence points.

“Dr. Lumsden rejoiced in his new-found faith,
but found out there is a price to pay also. He
was ejected from the science faculty after his
dynamic conversion to Christ and creationism. The
Institute for Creation Research invited him to
direct their biology department, which he did
from 1990 to 1996. Dr. Henry Morris said of him,
‘He had a very vibrant testimony of his
conversion only a few years ago and of the role
that one of his students played in confronting
his evolutionism with persistent and penetrating
questions. He became fully convinced of the
bankruptcy of his beliefs and realized that the
only reasonable alternative was that there must
be a Creator.’ Dick Lumsden was also appointed
to the science faculty of The Master's College,
and used his intimate knowledge of electron
microscopy to help the campus set up an
operational instrument for training students.
There was a joy present in his life and manner
that made his lectures sparkle, and he loved to
demonstrate design in the cell that could not
have arisen by Darwinian processes. In
discussions with evolutionists, he knew just
where to get them (he would say with a smile),
having been in their shoes. His students
appreciated the training his depth and breadth of
knowledge and experience brought to the class and to the lab.”

Before he died, Lumsdens testimony was video
recorded, and it is now available at the following location:

http://www.wayoflife.org/database/lumsden.html

Sale
Give Attendance to Doctrine

<http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=JhXGU&m=3ilwBiNGtRNpjkC&b=_YIk1fjkgdIuJRuXl.39Ng>Information

Book $9.95
<http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=JhXGU&m=3ilwBiNGtRNpjkC&b=_YIk1fjkgdIuJRuXl.39Ng>Options:
Coil binding, Large print, tests

______

eBook $9.95
pdf version
<http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=JhXGU&m=3ilwBiNGtRNpjkC&b=9PFfTb8Yw0vmjfTP6ydBXA>

O Timothy
Paper and online digital editions available.

Free eBook!
The Collapse of Separatism Among Fundamental Baptists

download now!

<http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=JhXGU&m=3ilwBiNGtRNpjkC&b=W8SzuAS8NK1E9LFEFzykNw>Give
an Offering
Way of Life
Problems reading article? See it on our
<http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=JhXGU&m=3ilwBiNGtRNpjkC&b=bXLLHEwzWhWWNxiQfYwryg>website.
Please notify us of broken formatting, etc.

Sharing Policy:  You may freely copy and share
and/or use excerpts from this article. You should
mention the full name of the article and credit
David Cloud, Way of Life Literature,
<http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=JhXGU&m=3ilwBiNGtRNpjkC&b=bXLLHEwzWhWWNxiQfYwryg>www.wayoflife.org.
Please read our full policy
here:
<http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=JhXGU&m=3ilwBiNGtRNpjkC&b=SEHn71DDqp_gYUuLblkfsA>www.wayoflife.org/sharing/

Distributed by Way of Life Literature's
Fundamental Baptist Information Service, a
service for Fundamental Baptists and other
fundamentalist, Bible-believing Christians.
Established in 1974, Way of Life Literature is a
fundamental Baptist preaching and publishing
ministry based in Bethel Baptist Church, London,
Ontario, of which Wilbert Unger is the founding
Pastor. Brother Cloud lives in South Asia where
he has been a church planting missionary since
1979. OUR GOAL IN THIS PARTICULAR ASPECT OF OUR
MINISTRY IS NOT DEVOTIONAL BUT IS TO PROVIDE
INFORMATION TO ASSIST PREACHERS IN THE PROTECTION
OF THE CHURCHES IN THIS APOSTATE HOUR. This
material is sent only to those who opt-in to the list.