[Faith-talk] Questioning Our Beliefs

Brandon Olivares via Faith-talk faith-talk at nfbnet.org
Thu May 15 20:32:46 UTC 2014

Linda,

It can only be true if there is an “I” to which these labels can be applied. There is certainly an apparent body for which these things seem to be true, but the actual reality of what “I” am is none of this, and all of this, and all other things. If there is an I that appears to be, then I back up and say, who am I? Who is this I that perceives through this body? And then I notice that there is an awareness behind the I, a witness, an observer that only witnesses. Then I notice that this awareness contains all the content of consciousness, and this I is only another thought among many, and I choose to stop believing in that thought, at least for the moment. That awareness knows no good or evil, but encompasses it all without judgment.

If you back up and simply observe, you will see that thoughts and actions arise, but are they from “you,” or are they universal? If you do this, you will find that they simply arise. You have the thought, “I think I will check my email.” But from where did this thought arise? Did you create it? If you watch, you will see it simply came, then immediately it was gone.

It’s when the mind decides that certain things should be so, that we get stuck in this cycle. We create our own personal hell because we resist what is. But hell only lasts as long as you choose to be there. The torture is all self-inflicted.

Brandon