[Faith-talk] Questioning Our Beliefs

Christine Olivares via Faith-talk faith-talk at nfbnet.org
Fri May 16 03:33:31 UTC 2014

Linda,
As you know, I am a Christian too. I also understand where you are coming from in your beliefs. However, when you tell someone they are condemned, or that God condemns or something of that nature, you may close the door to have someone ever come back to Christianity. I left Christianity for a long time, specifically Catholicism because of the condemnation I received. No one just loved me where I was but condemned me and really hurt me deeply.

how would you feel if you ever left christianity and someone told you you were going to Hell, or that God should condemn you? Better yet, when you die, how do you think Jesus would respond to what you said to my husband? I think you would be the one judged, not him as much because he is seeking Truth more than anyone I know. My Bible says, “judge not lest ye be judged.” It doesn’t say, “Condemn all those who do not follow me.” If you want to win someone back to Christianity, why don’t you try to show love and understand where they are coming from, and pray for them privately? That is what brought me back to Christianity.

I know you don’t mean to condemn people, but you don’t know people’s hearts. so I would please ask you to not be so hurtful and try to have some empathy. If you ever left christianity, which I’m sure you won’t, and if I ever said you were condemned, what would you do? Wouldn’t you be really hurt and want nothing to do with people who claim to be christians? I don’t consider someone a Christian if he/she goes around condemning someone…there are nicer ways of saying what you said.

God bless,
christine