[Faith-talk] Questioning Our Beliefs

Brandon Olivares via Faith-talk faith-talk at nfbnet.org
Fri May 16 13:53:32 UTC 2014

Debby,

I completely agree. That is one of the reasons I am turned off of Christianity as well. Not the only reason, as I feel it is not for me, but the judgmental attitudes of many does not help. We are all children of God, seeking truth to the best of our ability.

Three years ago, Christine and I got married. It was not within the Catholic Church, since I am not Catholic and wasn’t willing to promise that we’d raise our children Catholic, which is a prerequisite to getting married in the Church as a non-Catholic. Some of her side of the family boycotted our wedding. Her aunt did not come for that reason, and her mother was very close to not coming, only changing her mind at the last minute, but then going to confession afterwards because of it. Mind you it was still in a church, in a Methodist church I attended when I was younger. After that her aunt would say terrible things about me that were very hurtful. She did the same about Christine’s father who got remarried a few years ago.

The point is, people can be very cruel, and I’m sorry but I don’t see Christ in those people. These are people who use religion as a weapon, and then hide behind the Bible or the Church as though they had no responsibility for their words or actions.

Did Jesus ever explicitly tell someone they were going to hell? The closest he came was saying that it would be better if Judas had never been born. Besides that, never to my recollection. Yet we have “Christians” running around and doing this every day.

Thank you for your perspective.

Brandon