[Faith-talk] the blind jesus

debby phillips via Faith-talk faith-talk at nfbnet.org
Fri May 23 16:49:39 UTC 2014

Okay Andrew, ow get it, there are days when I get sick of being
blind, too.  But I think we all get sick of something in our
lives.  I have sighted friends who have huge problems, too.  They
have trouble getting jobs, they have trouble with their
marriages, friends betray them, stuff happens.  I have been left
out of family stuff too sometimes.  I have not been believed when
I give directions, or other information.  I get it that people
turn away from me at church, or don't talk to me.  I understand
all that.  I also understand Andrew that you are feeling really
angry and depressed.  I understand that you feel like there's
nothing ahead of you.  But Andrew, people have made suggestions
to you about what you might do.  I even said that I would
advocate for you to go to a Center here in the States to get some
training.  At some point, blind or not, we have to try and make
some things better for ourselves.  You need to do things to
change your own situation.  I know it's difficult.  I know it
sucks sometimes, in fact.  But I think that really life can be
very good.  You see, there are things that nobody can take away
from you, unless you let them.  Nobody can take your dignity.
Unless you give people more power in your life than they are
entitled to.  In order for things to happen in your life, you
have to make some changes, too.  It might mean moving physically
from where you are.  Maybe you need to consider moving to a city.
Your family may think you can't, and they may try to stop you.
But if you want a life, you have to take some action.  Believe it
or not, there are places here in the States that don't have good
services, where it's hard to go anywhere because there's no
public transportation, etc.  I was in that situation, and I took
a huge risk and went to the Colorado Center for the Blind, got
some training, and we moved to Spokane, where I do have public
transportation, sidewalks, where I can walk to places.  But I had
to do a lot of advocating for myself, getting my husband to see
my point of view.  Then he became more willing to think about
moving.  And now, we both love where we live.  Life isn't easy
and we do have to step out of our comfort zone.  I understand
that you may have some other issues going on besides your
blindness.  But I think there are solutions.  Perhaps someone has
the phone number, address etc.  of Paul and Mary Ellen Gabias.  I
know that they would help you.  I know Mary Ellen personally and
I know that she is a kind, resourceful person.     Blessings,
Debby