[Faith-talk] Short blerbs in my morning reading PT 2

Poppa Bear via Faith-talk faith-talk at nfbnet.org
Fri May 30 15:50:43 UTC 2014

                Henry Nouwen, who wrote The Return of the Prodigal Son, gave
up his

            teaching position at Harvard in order to work with the mentally

            handicapped in Toronto. His book was based on the impact
Rembrandt's

            picture of the Prodigal Son had upon his life when he had gone

            St. Petersburg and stared at that picture for three hours. Henry

            Nouwen said, "You know, I have preached an awful lot about the

            forgiving father, the receiving father. I'm not sure I have
fully

            been engulfed in that myself to understand this kind of love."
He

            said he went to work with the mentally handicapped, "not because

            had something to teach them, but because they had something to
teach

            me." He wrote of one of the young women at the institution who
would

            always stand at the door welcoming each new person. She would
often

            have some saliva uncontrollably dribbling from her mouth. But
she

            would reach over and embrace the visitor, give them a kiss and

            welcome them into that place. Henry Nouwen said, "It had been a
long

            time since I understood what it was to receive such
unconditional

            love."