[Faith-talk] The Principle of Wu Wei

Brandon A. Olivares programmer2188 at gmail.com
Sat Jan 10 04:17:05 UTC 2015

Poppa Bear,

It’s a good question. Yes, I would.

I’d like first to quote the words of a spiritual teacher, Rupert Spira,  on this subject:

> If everything is one and everything we do is an expression of this one Consciousness then the idea of ‘another living being’ does not arise. Therefore there are no others to do harm to. There is only Myself, Consciousness.
>
> To do harm to another human being, one must first divide the seamless totality of experience into two, thus creating a separate person here, ‘me,’ and a separate person there, ‘you.’”

Therefore in your question, there is a distinct difference between the person who traps the mice out of fear, and the person who traps the mice because that’s the thing that arises to do.

In the first case, you have fear and resistance to the idea of mice being in your house. You believe “mice shouldn’t be in my house,” and “my children could be harmed,” etc, and this causes anxiety.

In the second case, you do whatever comes up to do. It will probably be to set up the traps. Why? There is no why. As hard as it is to believe, there is a place where you simply flow with the present moment. When an event occurs, something else happens in response. You see mice, and go to get traps. But you have no fear about the mice, or anxiety regarding them. You do not see them as a separate entity from yourself. It is just another step in the dance of life. You don’t construct stories about them harming you or your children, or anything else that might cause you suffering. The stories are seen through as illusory— as constructs of the mind.

Similarly, I’m not going to feel guilty for trapping the mice. They aren’t some other entity I can harm, nor can they harm me in reality. They’re another expression of the Infinite, entering into “my” life in this form for some, or no, reason. When you truly see all things as equal, then life and death both have their own beauty. Love and hate both serve the whole in some way. Good and evil become one and the same.

Imagine this: there’s a movie, and in the movie, there is Poppa Bear and his family. And in the movie, mice invade the house, and Poppa Bear sets up traps. Afterwards, you ask the actor playing Poppa Bear whether he was anxious for his children. He responds, “Why should I be anxious? It was only a movie; just a script. All you observed was light playing upon a screen. The apparent images you thought you saw were no more than phantoms. There were never any mice, never any Poppa Bear and never anyone to harm.”

So it is with the world. There is one awareness, one consciousness if you will. And it is reflected upon the screen of the mind in a multitude of ways, as thoughts, as words, as actions, as apparent people in the world. And these reflections of consciousness come together to play out apparent events. It even forms an apparent God who apparently rules over this world, but that’s as much an illusion as the rest of the light show. When you can look at the whole thing and laugh, for no reason and every reason, then you’ve gotten it. But 99.99% of the apparent people in this apparent world take it seriously; they think the play is real. They are unwilling to accept that it is all a joke.

If you’ve read the Allegory of the Cave, you know something about this. All of humanity is watching shadows play upon a wall, thinking that is real life. Occasionally, one of them looks around, realizes they are chained up and looking at the wall. They take off the chains, get up, and walk into the light. They learn to see things as they really are. They come back, trying to convince the others of the same, but they just laugh. “No, this is real,” the others say.

That was the plight of the great spiritual teachers, like Buddha, Krishna, Jesus. They saw the truth, came back to try to communicate that to others, and only a very few were willing to listen. That’s always how it is.

---
Peace,
Brandon

Awaken To Silence <http://www.awakentosilence.org/>: Awaken To The Silence That Has Always Been Within You