[Faith-talk] Quotes for Monday, August 1, 2016

Paul Smith paulsmith at samobile.net
Mon Aug 1 10:04:34 UTC 2016

Hello my fellow saints of the Most High God to a new month and a new
week.  Oh yes, I know it's the second day of the week, but for you who
work full-time from Monday through Friday, as I did, it's the first day
of the week.  Hope your day is going well as you read this message, by
God's matchless grace and His providential care.

Last night I was briefly off the Internet for reasons that are unclear,
but hopefully things are back to normal now.  Here are today's two
quotes for your consideration, pondering and reflection.

If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at
least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things.
Rene Descartes, French philosopher, 1596-1650 (quote compiler's
comment:  Monsieur Descartes' quote here seems to fly in the face of a
passage in the book of James where he write that one should not doubt,
because one who does is like the waves of the sea that are driven and
tossed by the wind.  Anyone here with some comments? As for me I tend
to go along with what you read above, as I know that several times in
my life I was a figurative Doubting Thomas).

If you want to forget something or someone, never hate it, or never
hate him/her.  Everything and everyone that you face is engraved upon
your heart.  If you want to let go of something, if you want to forget,
you cannot hate.  C. Joybell (quote compiler's queery:  What, pray
tell, is the difference between hating something or someone and merely
not liking but tolerating it, him/her? I think that sometimes in
English at least we use the word "hate" when we actually mean not
liking or not tolerating someone or something, in my opinion).

And that will do for today.  Hopefully my comments will engender some,
if not a lot, healthy discussion here.  Until later in this space when
the baffling Bible Questions column will be posted or until tomorrow
morning when more quotes will be posted, I am your obedient servant of
the One who lived an earthly existence, died to pay for your sins and
mine, and now lives forever to bring us His salvation and peace, Oil of
Gladness.