[Faith-talk] {Spam?} Baffling Bible Questions Answered for Monday, June 6, 2016

Paul Smith paulsmith at samobile.net
Mon Jun 6 19:24:39 UTC 2016

Hello and greetings to my astute Bible students out there.  Hope that
your day is going well today, by God's matchless grace and His
providential care.

Today we finish our look at the book of Daniel and, while these
questions and answers may not address any that you may have, at least I
hope that they have addressed at least some of your questions.

Daniel 11:31

Question:  What is the "abomination that causes desolation" spoken of here?

Answer:  In 168 B.C., Antiochus Epiphanes, intent on stamping out
Judaism, erected an altar to Zeus in the Temple at Jerusalem and
sacrificed a pig, an unclean animal, on it.  While this event is taken
by many to fulfill the prophecy, Jesus clearly spoke of Daniel's
prophecy as something destined to be fulfilled in the future (Matt.
24:15).  What is more, the abomination of desolation is to mark the
initiation of great distress (literally, tribulation) spoken of by the
Old Testament prophets (Matt. 24:21; Ezek. 5:9; Dan. 12:1; Joel 2:2),
and to precede the return of Christ (Matt. 24:29-30).

Returning to the law of dual reference, it is not uncommon for focus to
shift midway in the prophecy from one event or person to another that
the first one foreshadows.  And it is not at all uncommon for predicted
events or persons to serve as symbols of even greater, similar events
or persons destined to follow.  Thus, there is no reason why the
abomination that causes desolation should not speak both of Antiochus's
pollution of the temple and of a future desecration performed by an
even greater enemy of God's people as history draws to a close.

Daniel 12:1

Question:  Who is Michael the great prince?

Answer:  According to Daniel 10:13, Michael is a chief prince or
powerful angel.  Daniel 12:1 indicates that he "protects your (Jewish) people."

Michael is mentioned by name here, in Jude 9, and in Revelation 12:7.
The other angel whose name is given in Scripture is Gabriel, who is
mentioned by name in Daniel 8:16; 9:21; Luke 1:19, 26.

Daniel 12:1-3

Question:  This is the first Old Testament passage to speak of a
resurrection from the dead to everlasting life for some and to "shame
and everlasting contempt" for others.  What does the Bible teach about
resurrection?

Answer:  The clearest teaching concerning resurrection is found in the
New Testament, even though a number of Old Testament passages do hint
at a deliverance that extends beyond this present life (Job 14:14; Ps.
17:15; 49:7-20: 73:23-26).  Even more explicit predictions speak of God
swallowing death (Isa. 25:8) and promise that "your dead will live;
their bodies will rise" (Isa. 26:19).  Daniel 12:1-3 contains the
clearest of the Old Testament's teachings.

The clearest expression of resurrection is seen in Jesus.  When raised,
we will be like Him (1 John 3:2), no longer flesh and blood but endowed
with a transformed, imperishable, and glorious body (1 Cor. 15:42-44).

What is most debated is the indication in Scripture that there is more
than one resurrection.  1 Thessalonians 4:16 speaks of the "dead in
Christ" rising up in the air to meet the Lord at His return.
Revelation 20:5-6 speaks of dead saints coming to life at Christ's
return to "reign with Him for a thousand years," and says, "The rest of
the dead did not come to life until the thousand years were ended."
Later in the chapter, John describes a judgment at which all the dead
appear before God and are condemned to an eternity in the lake of fire
(vv. 11-15).

The Bible clearly indicates a resurrection of the saved that precedes
final judgment.  Some speculate that there are two resurrections of the
saved.  One is a resurrection of Christians, those who are "dead in
Christ" (1 Thess. 4:16).  The other is a resurrection of Old Testament
believers or of those who died during the final time of great
tribulation (Rev. 20:5-6).  Whatever the number and sequence of
resurrections may be, the fact that bodily resurrection is taught in
both Old Testament and New Testament is unmistakable.  We can leave the
details in God's hands and rest on the certainty that we will rise
again to enjoy life everlasting in the presence of our Lord.

And there, at least as far as this column is concerned, we leave the
book of Daniel.  Lord willing, next week we will scrutinize the book of
Hosea.  Until then may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us
safe, individually and collectively, in these last days in which we
live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul