[Faith-talk] {Spam?} Daily Thought for Tuesday, June 21, 2016

Paul Smith paulsmith at samobile.net
Tue Jun 21 17:50:24 UTC 2016

Hello and a good day to most of you for the second time today.  Hope
that your day is going well, by God's matchless grace and His
providential care.

The April 2016 of "Decision" magazine, the house organ of the Billy
Graham Evangelistic Association, had a very interesting four-article
series on the subject of prayer.  The blurb on the contents page read:
"Reclaiming Prayer, Articles by Bob Paulson, P. Douglas Small, Richard
Blackaby and Ronnie Floyd." The next statement on the table of contents
page really had me sitting up and thinking:  "If things are as dark as
we think they are, why do believers pray so little? We must resurrect
the kind of prayer that changes nations."

Well, folks, I don't know if that grabbed you spiritually, but it sure
did me.  If you read "Decision" magazine regularly, you no doubt know
what I'm talking about.  On the other hand, for those of you who don't
read it regularly, we begin with the first in this series of articles
by Bob Paulson.  Entitled "Reclaiming Prayer:  Crying out to God for a
Darkening Nation," rendered as follows:

Do we care enough to pray?

Prayer.  Is any other practice so universally extolled yet so often
left undone by Christians? And in an age when true followers of Christ
increasingly are marginalized, mocked and despised, can we continue to
act as if we don't need to cry out for God's help?

Erwin Lutzer, longtime pastor of Chicago's Moody Church, observes:  "I
find it very interesting that even though as a church generally we
complain about the present darkness, we still are not desperate enough
to sincerely pray and call congregations to pray.  If the darkness is
as bad as we believe it is morally and spiritually, why is it that we
still do not pray?"

Although he has not conducted a formal survey on the issue, Lutzer has
asked other evangelical pastors whether or not their church holds
regular prayer meetings, and he is surprised at the number who say no.

Thom Rainer, president and CEO of Lifeway Christian Resources, has
noticed this lack of prayer too.  Noting on his blog that the decline
in American churches has been commensurate with the decline in
corporate prayer, Rainer asks, "Where have all the praying churches gone?"

Lutzer suggests that some prayer meetings have fallen victim to
entertainment.  Whether it's television or the Internet, it seems
harder today than in past generations to get people to go back out in
the evening for a church meeting.  Other prayer meetings, lacking
strong leadership, have degenerated into gossip sessions, or one person
has dominated the meeting with long prayers seemingly designed more to
impress others than to plead for God's help.

So how can we recapture the kind of prayer that makes a difference?
Anne Graham Lotz offers advice gleaned from her study of
Scripture and her own years of participation in prayer efforts.  Her
forthcoming book "The Daniel Prayer:  Prayer that Moves Heaven and
Changes Nations" is scheduled for release May 5.

"First, a person needs to be right with God," Lotz says, "meaning you
need to be in a right relationship with Him because you've been to the
cross and you are in that covenant relationship, which of course Daniel
had.  And as much as possible, we need to be right with others as well."

A significant part of Daniel's prayer, as recorded in Daniel 9:1-23,
was confession of sin.  "That's one thing I think is lacking in prayers
within the church or in prayer groups," Lotz noted.  "I think it's
difficult to do as Daniel did in such a humble way, because he
identified with the sin of his nation to the point that he could
confess it as his own.  My tendency, when I am aware of the sin of our
nation, is to want to lower the boom on them.  We need to have a broken
heart and come before God and confess the sin of our nation as though
it's our own.  They're sinners.  But we are, too."

Lutzer concurs:  "Prayer in the New Testament often represented such a
dependence on God," he said.  "It was a sense of utter helplessness
apart from God's intervention.  I think that's connected to repentance,
where we acknowledge our sin in a serious way, and we don't just come
to God with requests.  We begin with a sense of repentance, which then
leads to serious intercessory prayer."

Another crucial aspect, Lotz says, is to pray God's Word back to Him.
"So often our prayers are what we want, what we wish, what we hope,
what we're trying to tell God to do, and then just fall flat," she
said.  "No wonder God doesn't answer them."

By contrast, Daniel read what God had said in Scripture, and he brought
those truths and prophecies before the Lord.  "It's what Eugene
Peterson calls reversed thunder," Lotz said.  "To take God at His Word.
God honors that."

Lutzer and Lotz both see some bright spots when it comes to prayer.
Lotz notes that some churches in her city of Raleigh, N.C., have
24-hour prayer rooms.  And Lutzer points to PRAYChicago, a citywide
movement that is drawing as many as 2,000 people at a time across
racial, social, economic and geographic lines to pray for all 77 of
Chicago's neighborhoods.

Like many prayer movements, PRAYChicago was born partially out of a
sense of desperation, as the murder rate in Chicago has soared in
recent years.  John Fuder, a former professor at Moody Bible Institute,
is helping to lead the movement.

"There has been this sobering sense of, God, our city is in need--deep
need," Fuder said.  "Our city had more than 100 murders in
February--twice the number of a year ago."

Although the city continues to be broken, Fuder and Lutzer are
encouraged by what God is doing in Chicago.

"My heart is overflowing with the sense of what a privilege we have,"
Fuder said.  "What a moment for God's people right now.  We want to say
to pastors and leaders, We've got to do this.  This has got to be priority."

And there you have the first in this series of four articles on prayer.
Tomorrow in this space, Lord willing, P. Douglass Small will continue
with his article entitled "How Prayer Can Change a Nation." As they say
in radio and maybe TV, stay tuned.

Until then may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe,
individually and collectively, in these last days in which we live.
Your Christian friend and brother, Paul