[Faith-talk] {Spam?} Daily Thought for Thursday, June 23, 2016

Paul Smith paulsmith at samobile.net
Thu Jun 23 19:46:09 UTC 2016

Hello and greetings again for the second time to most of you.  I hope
that you are all faring well today as you read this message, by God's
matchless grace and His providential care.

Here is the third in a series of prayer articles, this one having been
written by Richard Blackaby, the president of Blackaby Ministries
International and the coauthor of "Experiencing God." The title of his
contribution is "Spiritual Sight:  Watch and Pray, America!", rendered
as follows:

In prayer, God beckons us to join Him for souls.

A businessman named Bob was skeptical of my claim.  I had told church
members the night before that God is working all around us, but we need
to open our spiritual eyes so we recognize His activity.  Bob had
worked at his company for 12 years and had never witnessed God do
anything, he said.  Yet, feeling guilty that he had failed to be a
Christian witness over all that time, Bob prayed that he would see
where God was working.

All across our rotting culture, God has providentially planted His
people in offices like where Bob works, in factories, in coffee shops,
along the sidewalk in your neighborhood, in the halls of power and in
the hallways of schools.

God wants to transform our nation by transforming hearts, and He wants
to use you and me and folks like Bob to do it by joining Him in His
redemptive work.

During lunch on the Monday after I spoke at his church, Bob decided to
eat at a table in the staff lunchroom where a man was sitting alone.
Bob discovered the man was going through marital turmoil.  That morning
he had engaged in a horrible argument with his wife.  As he left the
house, he told his wife that when he returned that evening he was going
to leave her.  The man was in anguish because he had a 7-year-old son
he would also be separating from.

Bob invited his new friend to attend a church service with him that
evening.  To his surprise, the man agreed to go.  In reality, the man
wanted to delay going home until after his son was asleep so he could
avoid a tearful confrontation.

Throughout the service, Bob prayed fervently for his friend.  Yet at
evening's end, the man had not made a decision for Christ.  Bob drove
the man back to the company parking lot to retrieve his vehicle.  As
the man was about to leave, Bob asked him if he had heard anything at
church he would like to experience in his life.  The man said he wanted
the forgiveness and the new beginning mentioned in the sermon that
evening.  Parked in the otherwise empty parking lot, Bob led his
colleague to faith in Christ.  Then the man eagerly made his way home
to introduce his wife to her transformed husband.

I heard Bob's story the next morning.  He was ecstatic! Then it dawned
on him that God had been working throughout the 12 years he had been
employed at his company.  He just hadn't recognized it.

On the night Jesus was arrested, he took His disciples to the Garden of
Gethsemane and said, "My soul is exceedingly sorrowful, even to death.
Stay here and watch with Me" (Matthew 26:38).  Sadly, the disciples
fell asleep.  Jesus exclaimed:  "Could you not watch with Me one hour?"
(Matthew 26:40).  Interestingly, though this passage is often used as
an encouragement to pray, Jesus only mentions "Prayer" to His disciples
once (Matthew 26:41).  However, He speaks of "watching" three times
(Matthew 26:38-41).

While we generally understand what it means to pray, do we know what it
means to "watch?" Our problem is that, after we pray, we often fail to
watch what happens next.  Prayer is not designed for us to convince God
of what we think He should do.  Prayer is the method God uses to lay
His heart on our heart.  Jesus once chastised His disciples by saying,
"Having eyes do you not see?" (Mark 8:18).  Our spiritual senses must
be developed just as our physical senses.  This is best done through prayer.

My father and I work with Christian CEO's of major companies.  We teach
people how to see what God is doing in the marketplace and then to join
Him.  One day my father was teaching that we must rise early in the
morning to spend time with the Lord so He can alert us to His activity.
A CEO exclaimed, "But Henry, you don't know how busy I am!" My father
replied, "Apparently you don't realize who you are going to meet!"

The man began rising at 4:30 each morning to spend time in Bible study
and prayer.  He later shared how meeting with God had transformed his
day.  Each day God prepared him for what he would encounter.  By having
his spiritual eyes opened each morning, he led an employee to faith in Christ.

Churches, as well as individuals, must learn how to watch and pray--and
also to obey.  During the early 1990s, a church was dying because its
community had transitioned and the aging congregation could no longer
maintain its property or pay a pastor's salary.  The remnant decided to
do one final 12-week Bible study together before it disbanded.  They
soon encountered the truth that God was at work all around them.  They
struggled with this reality, for none of them had seen God do anything
around their church for many years.  Nevertheless, as they prayed
together, they sensed God inviting them to open their spiritual eyes
and see where He was working.

That week an apartment manager approached one of the church members,
asking if the church could do anything for the unsupervised children in
the apartment block who were constantly getting into mischief.  The
church member shared this request with the others and they decided to
undertake one final ministry project before they disbanded.  As they
began ministering to the children, several single moms approached them
in need of help.  Over the next few weeks, the church members came to
know some drug addicts, a prostitute, and various other broken
individuals who lived in that complex.  God began changing lives.

When the group came to the end of their 12-week study, they realized
there was far too much happening in their church for them to disband!
What had happened? As the church prayed, they also learned to watch.
As they did, they saw God working throughout their neighborhood.  Many
lives were changed as a result.

God is mightily at work in our world today.  If you will pray and
watch, you will discover He is not just at work internationally or in
megachurches or in prominent ministries.  He is also at work all around
your life.  Why don't you open your spiritual eyes and see?

Wow, but if the preceding articles didn't give you food for thought, I
don't know what will.  Suffice it to say that, when we get to the end
of this series tomorrow, the Spirit has prompted me to ask this
question:  Perhaps we blind and others can get connected on one of the
rooms on the Conversation Station or other chatlines to discuss what
Brother Blackaby and others in this series have written about.  I for
one would like that.  Of course, one would have to ask the moderator of
a particular chatroom for permission to use his/her room on their phone
chatline.  But I can foresee some very interesting conversation, and I
hope that some of you will agree.  Of course, time of day and day of
the week are also factors to consider as well.

And that will do for today.  Until tomorrow when, Lord willing the last
in this series of articles on prayer will be posted, may the God of
Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and
collectively, in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian
friend and brother, Paul