[Faith-talk] Daily Thought for Tuesday, June 28, 2016

Paul Smith paulsmith at samobile.net
Tue Jun 28 16:20:22 UTC 2016

Hello and greetings to all my Daily Thought readers.  Sorry about
yesterday, but I was without Internet access for a good part of the
day, in addition to having a scratchy phone line.  However the powers
that be this morning surprised me by connecting me back to the Web, in
addition to practically eliminating my bad phone line, so we're good to
go with hopefully many new Daily Thought messages.

Case in point is today's short story.  It is from a book called "Points
to Ponder," available in Braille and possibly even electronically from
Blind Mice Megamall
(http://www.blindmicemegamall.com).
This is a book of truly inspirational stories and one-liners.  The
story I have for you dear people is one that especially you dog lovers
or even service animal lovers will especially appreciate.  The title,
without an author's name appended thereto, is "Orca's A Golden Saving
Grace," rendered as follows:

Orca the golden retriever is a real lifesaver.  He led a jogger to his
trapped, paralysed owner, Cheryl.

Orca the golden retriever persisted in his efforts to attract a
passer-by to his paralysed owner, who was lying with a heavy motorized
wheelchair on top of her in a ditch.

The Daily Telegraph reported on Tuesday that Orca was undeterred by an
unsuccessful first attempt, when a man thought he was a stray and tried
to take him home.  Orca slipped away and found a jogger, jumping up and
down beside him until he followed.

Peter Harrison found Cheryl Smith, 22, a chemistry student, lying under
her machine, which weighs 150 kg (over 300 lbs).  Smith had been
enjoying Sunday afternoon out near her home in York, when her
wheelchair hit a brick on the path and plunged six meters down an
embankment, pinning her in the water.

Orca, who is just 18 months and finished training eight weeks ago, ran
for help.

Pouring with rain and hailing

After his failed first attempt, the dog ran back to his increasingly
desperate owner, who has a neurological illness that prevents her from walking.

"When he came back without anyone I really began to give up hope.  I
thought he had just been chasing animals around in the woods or
something," Smith told the Telegraph.

"I was lying there for what must have been about two hours and it was
pouring with rain and hailing.  There was a foot of water in the ditch,
and I was being pushed down into the thick mud below it," she said.

Harrison called emergency services, and Smith was treated at York
Hospital for mild hypothermia.  "It frightens me to think what would
have happened if Orca had not been there.  It was pouring with rain and
the chances of anyone passing that way were remote.  Without him, I
might have died in that stream.  I owe him everything," Smith said.

Orca has been rewarded with a steady supply of carrots, his favorite
treat, and bones.  According to Smith, he understands 105 commands,
including unloading the washing machine and pressing buttons at
pedestrian crossings.

And there you have today's short story.  Although this book was
Brailled in October 2003, there just might be a slim chance that my UK
readers have either heard or read of this incident.  I say "UK readers"
because that's where it took place.  Anyway hope you all enjoyed reading it.

And that will do for today.  Until tomorrow when, Lord willing another
Daily Thought article will be posted, may the God of Abraham, Isaac and
Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, in these last
days in which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul