[Faith-talk] Daily Thought for Saturday, May 7, 2016

Paul Smith paulsmith at samobile.net
Sat May 7 15:32:15 UTC 2016

Hello and greetings once again to most of you.  Hope your day is going
well, by God's matchless grace and His providential care.

As promised earlier, here is the Mother's Day poem written by Fanny
Crosby on October 18, 1895, even before there was ever an official
Mother's Day.  It is entitled "Can a Boy Forget His Mother?", and is
rendered as follows:

Can a boy forget his mother
Who has watched him from his birth?
Can he lose the sacred image
Of the dearest friend on earth?
Though the tempter may beguile him,
And his steps afar may roam,
There'll be one green spot in memory--
For his mother and his home.

2.  Can a boy forget his mother
And the evening prayer she said,
When she laid him down so gently
In his tiny cradle bed?
In the downward path of evil,
Though his steps afar may roam,
Yet one hallowed link will bind him
To his mother and his home.

3.  And perhaps her tender pleading
For the boy she loves so dear,
Through a kind and patient Savior,
May arrest his sad career.
It may touch a chord long silent,
Though afar his steps may roam;
It may bring him back repentant
To his mother and his home.

And there you have this poem.  The entire collection of 120 poems
entitled "Fanny Crosby Speaks Again" is available from the Braille
Library of the Gospel Association for the Blind in Bunnell, Florida,
and perhaps still available in print from second-hand Christian
bookstores or, if not from them, you may perhaps contact Hope
Publishing Company of Carol Stream, Illinois, with a first published
date of 1977.  So, there you have it.  If you either buy or borrow this
Braille book of 120 poems in two volumes, I hope you enjoy the
inspiring words of one of America's best loved hymn writers.  When I
received this book back in November, I just had to copy all 120 poems
out, and am I glad I did.

And with that we will end the daily thought message and poem for today,
but don't forget that tomorrow in this space will be the weekly Bible
trivia game poem.  Until then may the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob
just keep us safe, individually and collectively, in these last days in
hwich we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul