[Faith-talk] Memorial Day Poem for Monday, May 30, 2016

Paul Smith paulsmith at samobile.net
Mon May 30 16:44:09 UTC 2016

Hello my fellow countrymen.  On this day we in the U.S. and our
overseas possessions, in our own way, remember our fallen soldiers to
died in the service of our country so that we may enjoy the freedoms we
hold most dear.  I'm quite sure that you in other countries have
something similar, especially in other English-speaking countries on
November 11 or a day very close to that.  Even though it was a
sacrifice for me, for the past several years now I'd wake up extra
early to hear the description of the events on this special day in the
UK surrounding the goings-on at the Senotaph, the memorial for British
and Commonwealth soldiers who did what our soldiers did during wars.

So today I have a poem to post by an unnamed author.  Entitled
"Memorial Day" it is rendered as follows:

These did not pass in selfishness;
They died for all mankind:
They died to build a better world
For all who stay behind.

And we who hold their memory dear,
And bring them flowers today,
Should consecrate ourselves once more
To live and die as they.

These were defenders of the faith
And guardians of the truth:
That you and I might live and love,
They gladly gave their youth.

And we who set this day apart
To honor them who sleep
Should pledge ourselves to hold the faith
They gave their lives to keep.

And there you have this special poem for this special day.  Tomorrow we
will resume the baffling Bible questions answered.  Until then may the
God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and
collectively, in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian
friend and brother, Paul