[Faith-talk] {Spam?} Baffling Bible Questions Answered for Monday, October 31, 2016

Paul Smith paulsmith at samobile.net
Mon Oct 31 18:07:14 UTC 2016

Hello and greetings once again to my fellow astute Bible students.  I
hope that your day is going well as you read this message, by God's
matchless grace and His providential care.

Let's take yet a more in-depth look at the Gospel of Matthew.

Matthew 9:23

QUESTION:  What were flute players and a noisy crowd doing outside the
house of a dying girl?

ANSWER:  Our culture takes a solemn approach to death, and those
attending a funeral are generally quiet and very reserved.  In first
century A.D. Judaism, a death was greeted with loud wails and great
crowds of mourners gathered to noisily express their grief for the
family, often accompanied by shrill music.  What Matthew describes was
the typical reaction of the neighborhood to a death in one of its families.

Matthew 10:1

QUESTION:  What were "evil spirits?"

ANSWER:  "Evil spirit" is another name for the angels who followed
Satan and rebelled against God.  They are the same as the demons of the
Gospels.  (See explanation of Matthew 8:28, from last week).

Matthew 11:12

QUESTION:  What is the meaning of Jesus' words, "The kingdom of heaven
has been forcefully advancing, and forceful men lay hold of it?"

ANSWER:  The context shows that Jesus identified the appearance of John
the Baptist as one of history's turning points.  Jesus' own ministry,
marked by miracles, a great fllurry of demonic activity, and
intensifying opposition from the Pharisees, demonstrates that the
kingdom of heaven is advancing in spite of fierce resistance.  Satan
and humanity might fight against God, but the advance of God's kingdom
is irresistible.

Matthew 11:14

QUESTION:  How could John be Elijah? What did Jesus mean when He made
this identification?

ANSWER:  The last book of the Old Testament, Malachi, announces that
God will send Elijah to His people before the "great and dreadful day
of the Lord comes" (Mal. 4:5).  Some take this prediction to refer to
the actual Elijah, who was taken up into heaven without experiencing
biological death (2 Kings 2:11).  Others see Elijah as a type of the
last great prophet and understand the prediction to mean that an
Elijah-like prophet will appear just before history's end.  Here, Jesus
tells His listeners that, if they had responded to John's message with
faith--and thus had accepted the one John announced as their
Messiah--John could have been considered to have fulfilled Malachi's
prediction.  Jesus implies that, since the Jewish people did not turn
to Christ as their Messiah, another person will appear in the future to
fulfill Malachi's prediction before God's kingdom is established on earth.

Matthew 11:16-17

QUESTION:  What did Jesus mean by comparing His generation to children
playing in the marketplace?

ANSWER:  "We played the flute for you and you did not dance" refers to
children playing wedding.  "We sang a dirge, and you did not mourn"
refers to children playing funeral.  The pouting children in Jesus'
story complain, because whatever they try to play, their companions
won't join in.  In the same way the adults of Jesus' time would not
respond to God, whether the Lord spoke to them through the ascetic John
or through the warm and caring Jesus.

And there you have this week's baffling Bible questions answered column
which I hope gave you some insight on Matthew's Gospel that you did not
previously know.  Until next Monday when, Lord willing the next in this
series of columns will be posted, may the God of Abraham, Isaac and
Jacob just keep us safe, individually and collectively, in these last
days in which we live.  Your Christian friend and brother, Paul