[Faith-talk] {Spam?} Division?

Sarah Blake LaRose sarah at sarahblakelarose.com
Mon Sep 5 10:31:09 UTC 2016

Linda, my point is that sometimes the solution a person wants isn't for the
NFB to contact their church leaders but for their to be a place where it is
good to build skills and understanding for how to self-advocate in the faith
community. I encounter many people who don't know, for instance, how to have
good discussions about working in the nursery. I was among them for a long
time.

It has always been easy for me to have discussions among church groups about
Bible questions. It is not easy to have discussions about the social issues
associated with church. We lose a lot of people because of these things, and
I think it is an important thing to talk about--not only in the blind
community but in the church. I am trying to find the right words because I
observe that it annoys sighted people when I bring up the fact that blind
people leave the church because they feel isolated. The sighted people's
response it typically, "Well, all they have to do is call and ask for a
ride." It's hard to explain how it feels when you hear people making plans
to go to lunch and you are not among any of the groups, but someone offers
to drop you off at home. This is one of the most common reasons why I find
people leaving the church. I think it would take more than NFB advocacy to
bring about change in the face of this. This is the kind of thing that I
have personally encountered throughout most of my life. I chose to stay
anyway, and sometimes to be vulnerable with the community about what was
going on. It usually didn't work. Most people cannot distinguish well
between the types of silly conversations they have with me, e.g. "You're
teaching Hebrew? I couldn't teach English and I'm sighted" and the
respectful exchanges they have with each other that result in ongoing
relationships. I have taken other people to church with me, but they don’tdon't
have the fortitude to stick around in that kind of environment. I don't
blame them. This is what they cope with all day every day. Why shouldn't the
church be a different place?

Sarah Blake LaRose, M.Div., accessible instruction in biblical languages
Personal mail: sarah at sarahblakelarose.com
http://www.sarahblakelarose.com
Info for seminaries and faith communities: http://www.night-light.org