[Faith-talk] {Spam?} Division?

Sarah Blake LaRose sarah at sarahblakelarose.com
Mon Sep 5 20:31:12 UTC 2016

Ericka, this is very true. In many churches the situation is complex--there
are ways that access is good and ways that it needs improvement. My current
church is a good example of this, and that is also why I stay in spite of
the social difficulties and other things I am disappointed about. There are
some very nice people who are willing to type lyrics to new choir pieces for
me, and I have built up a file of music over the last few years so that I
can pull the pieces for the year when I get the list from the choir
director. Once in a while we do something classical and I am able to find it
on BARD and use the braille music. I really enjoy this and wish I could get
braille music more often. I asked about having Goodfeel purchased, but it
was cost prohibitive and I do understand this--it was more than the annual
budget for the whole music program.

We have people with other disabilities who attend the church and several
have had very positive experiences. The youth group seems to be doing very
well with inclusion, especially with teens with autism and other
disabilities. I would like to see them have better experiences transitioning
to adulthood, but I think it is a hard thing for adults to make the leap.
You are right that if a person had a stroke the inclusion would happen more
readily. I have seen this work. It is easier to send someone to a special
class that we never developed a relationship with...

Often the access road with church has been about making choices in
priorities. I will never find a church that has everything, but I can
probably find one that has some things that I need. Sometimes I have picked
a church that has a different theolgoy from what I am used to in order to
get to a better place in terms of access. Sometimes I have sacrificed one
access need for another.

My parents and I live in the same town. We attended church together for
about nine years. I was in my mid-twenties when we started attending the
church, and my parents gave me rides. For us, it was not a negative thing. I
lived with them for a short while as I was getting on my feet after a
divorce, and eventually I moved into an apartment. It was amazing to us that
people assumed not only that I lived with them but that they were my
care-takers. They didn't raise me to have care-takers, and I attended public
school. But we had a very hard time overcoming this and eventually I decided
that perhaps part of my social problem was the fact that I was attending the
same church as my parents. I was really annoyed about it--other people
attend the same church as their parents and even enjoy sitting together, and
I thought I should be able to have the same healthy experience.

I changed churches and found that about three quarters of the people still
think II have care-takers, even though they have never met my parents. My
parents have made a conscious choice not to attend the same church with me,
though occasionally they will now attend a special event. Since I'm not
going to dodge the care-taker stereotype, I'll enjoy my parents' company
once in a while.

Sarah Blake LaRose, M.Div., accessible instruction in biblical languages
Personal mail: sarah at sarahblakelarose.com
http://www.sarahblakelarose.com
Info for seminaries and faith communities: http://www.night-light.org