[Faith-talk] Lemon Pie

Paul Smith paulsmith at samobile.net
Tue Sep 6 16:20:40 UTC 2016

Hello and greetings to you all on this first Tuesday of September 2016.
I hope that all is going well for you as you read this message, by
God's matchless grace and His providential care.

The following poem was written by the undersigned when he was in the
8th grade at the Maryland School for the Blind, so you can figure out
how long ago that was.  At the time we had two neighbors, Mildred
"nannie" Wann and her husband, Millard "Poppop" Wann.  Mildred made the
best homemade lemon pie that the undersigned and his two brothers,
George and Louis, ever ate, and it is with this in mind that I wrote
the following, a copy of which I gave to Mildred typed on an old
Remington portable typewriter.

The world is full of gladness,
There are joys of many kinds,
There's a cure for every sadness,
That each troubled mortal minds.
And my little cares grow lighter
And I cease to fret and sigh,
And my eyes with joy grow brighter
When she makes a lemon pie.

When the bronze is on the filling
That's one mass of shining gold,
And its molten joy is spilling
On the plate my heart grows bold,
And the kids and I in chorus
Raise one glad exultant cry
And we cheer the treat before us--
Which is Nanny's lemon pie.

Then the little troubles vanish,
And the sorrows disappear,
Then we find the grit to banish
All the cares that hovered near.
And we smack our lips in pleasure
O'er a joy no coin can buy
And we down the golden treasure
Which is known as lemon pie.

And what do you think was Mildred's reaction when I gave her the typed
copy of the above? She liked it so much that she had me and my brother
George over for supper for the next three evenings; Louis was just a
little too young for such adventures.  Now if one of you people had me
over for lunch or supper and I wrote out a similar poem, would you
invite me over to your place for several nights of free meals? Anyway
just a question.

And that will do it for today.  If you read this message in time, I
hope to see you in the conference room of Cjoy Internet Radio when I
present some timeless literature today.  Otherwise until tomorrow when,
Lord willing another uplifting piece of literature will be posted, may
the God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and
collectively, in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian
friend and brother, Paul