[Faith-talk] {Spam?} To Marianne

Linda Mentink mentink at frontiernet.net
Wed Sep 14 21:50:36 UTC 2016

Hi Marianne,

As Paul said, you have come to the right group, and I welcome
you.  I suggest that you contact a woman in the church, like the
pastor's wife or a deaconess, and explain what you'd like and
what you need.  Ask to be involved in some aspect of the church's
various ministries-fold bulletins, help in the nursery, get on
the prayer chain if there is one-that kind of thing.  If you do
more than just attend the worship services, you'll meet people in
smaller groups, and maybe someone will befriend you.  Try not to
come across as really needy, but offer to be helpful.  Offer to
speak to the children, adults, or all about what it's like to be
blind, and show some of the things you use to live independently.

Over the years, I've been involved where I can, and have found
that people usually are willing to let me share the load.  I have
played organ, keyboard and piano; sung solos; been in small
musical groups; sung in the choir; been a deaconess, an AWANA
leader, prayer chain chairman, Missions Committee member, and
Music Committee member; folded the weekly bulletins; participated
in Bible women's studies and small groups; and done my share in
bringing food to pot-lucks.  I have been able to make many good
friends, some of whom have gone on walks or bike rides with me or
read books to me.  That's been my experience, for what it's
worth.  I hope this is an encouragement to you.

Blessings,

Linda