[Faith-talk] {Spam?} An Apple a Day In A Tasty Way

Paul Smith paulsmith at samobile.net
Fri Sep 23 17:38:58 UTC 2016

As promised yesterday, here are a number of recipes using the lowly
apple.  Diabetics, please take warning, as there is what I believe to
be an overabundance of sugar in each tasty treat, but maybe there
isn't.  Hope you bakers out there find at least one recipe that you'd
like to lay on your family.

Apple Crisp

6 apples
1 cup flour
1 cup butter
1 cup brown sugar
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Peel, core, and slice apples.  Place in a buttered 8-inch by 12-inch
pan.  Mix together flour, sugars, butter, and cinnamon until crumbly.
Sprinkle over apples.  Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.  Serve warm,
topped with whipped cream, ice cream, or milk.

Baked Apple Meringues

3 egg whites
3/8 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 cup sugar
Almonds, slivered
6 apples, baked and cooled

Place egg whites in a bowl and add salt and extract; beat until stiff.
Gradually add sugar, beating until smooth and glossy.  Place apples on
a cookie sheet.  Cover each apple with a thick coating of meringue.
Sprinkled with a few slivered almonds and bake at 325 degrees for 15
minutes, or until light brown.  Can be served as a dessert or as part
of the meal.

Apple Dessert Crunch

1 cup quick-cooking oats
1 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup flour
1/3 cup butter
4 cups diced apples
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup sugar

Mix together the oats, brown sugar, flour, and butter.  Combine apples,
cinnamon, and sugar.  Arrange in a well-buttered 8-inch by 11-inch pan.
Sprinkle over the apple mixture.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 30
minutes.  Serve warm, topped with whipped cream or ice cream.

Dutch Apple Kuchen

1 cup flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
6 tablespoons butter
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup chopped almonds
3 egg yolks
1 cup sour cream
1 cup sugar
6 apples, peeled, cored, and chopped

Mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, butter, and salt.  Pat
mixture into a buttered 7-inch by 11-inch pie plate.  Set aside.  Mix
together almonds, egg yolks, sugar, and sour cream, blending well.
Stir in apples.  Pour apple mixture onto the unbaked crust.  Bake at
350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Apple Strudel

1 cup butter
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1 cup sour cream
1 cup melted butter
1.5 teaspoon cinnamon
1 cup sugar
4 apples, finely chopped
1 egg yolk mixed with 1 teaspoon water

Cut butter into flour, salt, 1 teaspoon sugar, and baking powder.  Stir
in sour cream, mixing thoroughly.  Divide dough into four equal
portions.  Roll each portion into an 8-inch by 10-inch rectangle.
Spread with melted butter.  Combine cinnamon and 1 cup sugar.  Divide
chopped apple among rectangles, then sprinkle with sugar and cinnamon
mixture.  Roll up as for a jelly roll.  Place on a buttered cookie
sheet.  Brush tops of strudels with the egg yolk-water mixture.
Sprinkle additional cinnamon-sugar on top.  Bake at 400 degrees for 10
minutes.  Reduce heat to 350 degrees and bake 25 minutes longer.
Drizzle thin icing over strudels.  Makes four strudels.

Thin Icing

1 and 1/2 cup confectioner's sugar
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 and 1/2 tablespoons milk or water

Combine all ingredients, stirring until smooth.

And there you have your early fall/autumn 2016 apple recipes.  Please
note that this writer has not checked out how good or bad each recipe
is, so I can't guarantee how they will taste.  Also the recipes listed
above that suggest topping them with ice cream just is adding sugar to
sugar, but I'll leave all that up to you.  If you try any of these
tasty treats, I hope you like them.

Tomorrow in this space will be the latest post from Tim Smith from the
Museum of the Bible which I hope you will also enjoy.  Until then or
until tomorrow when, Lord willing more quotes will be posted, may the
God of Abraham, Isaac and Jacob just keep us safe, individually and
collectively, in these last days in which we live.  Your Christian
friend and brother, Paul